Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
August 4, 2020 at 9:25 pm #6736953

mathieulaflamme

My site comes with all the .mo files in multiple language but before I start clicking away in the back end I want to see if someone can walk me through it to make sure I don't screw everything up as I usually do with wpml

August 5, 2020 at 11:36 am #6740707

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

If you don´t plan to do any changes to the files provided, then there´s really nothing to be done.

If you plan on making changes to the translations, then, you should "scan" the plugin/theme here:
WPML > Theme and plugins locazlization

Then, change the translations in the StringTranslatino table.
Any new translations will be saved in a new .mo file that employs the same mechanism as the standard wordpress .mo files.

Did you have any particular concern about this?

In other words, you do not have to do anything "special" with the .mo files.

August 10, 2020 at 8:23 am #6767523

mathieulaflamme

Hi
I guess I just don't understand how it all works then, because the language files are there, but they don't appear to do anything? I realize the text I write onto a page must be translated be me, but the the theme texts, like heading, categories and everything, is in the .mo files. So maybe I don't understand how it's supposed to work, but I would assume that I should be able to see my site in French..? No. For example, here's my site: hidden link You can do all kinds of stuff, like log in and create a new listing for real-estate agents. All the text like the buttons and stuff is translated in the .mo files. So how do I go about making use of them? I hope I'm being clear. Let me know.

August 10, 2020 at 8:58 am #6767779

Yvette
Supporter

OK.

Have you read this article?
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/theme-localization/

You should just have to enable the correct languages here: WPML > Languages.

Then, if the language locale of the "active" language matches the language locale the .mo file uses, the native wordpress localization mechanism will load the correct strings.

If this is not happening, then perhaps there is another issue at hand.

If you want, I can take a look. I am opening the private area for wp-admin access.

August 14, 2020 at 12:09 pm #6802825

mathieulaflamme

Hi,
For the ftp access I need an email address. To create a wp user just go here and use whatever email you want, and I'll upgrade you admin when I see you've registered hidden link

August 14, 2020 at 12:23 pm #6802851

Yvette
Supporter

I´ve registered with user wpmlsupport.

Please advise when I¨m admin.
Thanks

August 17, 2020 at 5:18 pm #6817467

mathieulaflamme

HI, I've upgraded you to admin, can you check it out?

August 18, 2020 at 10:25 am #6822009

Yvette
Supporter

Well - you did not have any FR content. There are no pages, posts, or forms in FR that I coudl find.

Just to get you started, I duplicated your front page to FR so you can at least see something in the FR space.

Your site will not go to the FR space if you do not have FR content. And if it is not in the FR space, there will be no reason to show FR strings from plugins/themes.

It looks like most of your current content contain things that you will have to manually translate. Maybe you should try to create a simple FR page and see if the Theme elements are appearing as you expect in FR.

August 21, 2020 at 2:01 pm #6846197

mathieulaflamme

Ok, I get how to translate a page, but how about all the sections, headings and stuff that get reused throughout? Do I need to use string translations for this?

August 21, 2020 at 2:37 pm #6846419

Yvette
Supporter

You will need to provide an example to get a full answer: URL, navigation steps, and screenshot of which text you are referring to.

But in general, yes, all of our theme/plugin translations get registered with the String Tranlsation table if they are to be translated.

The topic ‘[Closed] How to load a .mo file’ is closed to new replies.