This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Placing the language switcher in the top bar I was not able to show it horizontal. It takes too much space showing it vertical. On my current project I'mm using just 2 languages.
Solution:
Add this CSS:

.elementor-location-header .elementor-element-populated .elementor-nav-menu li.wpml-ls-item {
    display: inline-block;
}

to the Appearance → Customize → Additional CSS area to make the language switcher be displayed on the same line.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by rosmarieF 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
June 27, 2019 at 10:59 am #4099383

rosmarieF

Placing the language switcher in the top bar I was not able to show it horizontal. It takes to much space showing it vertical. On my current project I'mm using just 2 languages.

What is the link to your site?
sub.profiwebmedia.com

Thank you for your support

June 27, 2019 at 11:19 am #4099557

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Rosmarie,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

Can you add this CSS:

.elementor-location-header .elementor-element-populated .elementor-nav-menu li.wpml-ls-item {
    display: inline-block;
}

to the Appearance → Customize → Additional CSS area and tell me if the language switcher look better now, please?

Thanks,
Radu

June 27, 2019 at 12:31 pm #4100001

rosmarieF

Hello Radu,
thank you now it looks good in the default language. How to get it fixed also in the second language Italian? Thank you

June 28, 2019 at 7:01 am #4104953

Radu
Supporter

Hey Rosmarie,

I checked the Italian version of the page and the language switcher looks like the one from English. Can you send me a link to a page where the language switcher is looking different, please?

Thanks,
Radu

June 28, 2019 at 8:19 am #4105473

rosmarieF

Hi Radu,
the problem persists only on mobile (smartphone) devices in the Italien version. German version was ok after you sent me the css code.
Thank you
Rosmarie

June 28, 2019 at 9:20 am #4105927

Radu
Supporter

Hey Rosmarie,

Both German and Italien versions look the same on my side when checking the website on mobile (please see the screenshots).
Can you attach some screenshots from your mobile device so I can see how things look for you, please?

Thanks,
Radu

June 28, 2019 at 10:09 am #4106415

rosmarieF

Hi Radu, we tested it on 3 different smartphones. On 2 of them it looks like the attached screenshot, but only the Italian version, the default German version is ok.

Smartphone brand is Samsung and Xiaomi 5 inch. On a new Samsung 9+ it is displayed correctly.

June 28, 2019 at 10:39 am #4106635

Radu
Supporter

Hey Rosmarie,

Can you tell me what's the browser that you're using, please? This may be related to the browser and I want to make sure that I'm using the same one to see what can be done about it.

Thanks,
Radu

June 28, 2019 at 12:11 pm #4107223

rosmarieF

We ow tried different browser and we see that it works with firefox for smartphone and with the browser which by default is installed on Xiaomi Smartphones.
But it does'nt work in Chrome and it doesn't work in Safari

Kind regards
Rosmarie

July 1, 2019 at 9:20 am #4116885

Radu
Supporter

Hey Rosmarie,

Can you tell me if you moved the website from sub.profiwebmedia.com, please? I was gonna test it on Safari but it's no longer loading, no matter what browser I'm using.

Thanks,
Radu

July 1, 2019 at 9:49 am #4117435

rosmarieF

Hello Radu,
yes, sub.profiwebmedia.comn was our developing domain, last week we moved to hidden link

July 1, 2019 at 9:51 am #4117537

rosmarieF

Can you please tell uas how e can manage our domain licences? We have licences for 3 domains. Can we change our developing domain to another?

July 2, 2019 at 2:44 pm #4128043

Radu
Supporter

Hey Rosmarie,

I checked again your website using Chrome and Safari and everything looks fine, no matter what language I'm checking. I tried to change the language, refresh the page, check some other pages, but nothing makes the language switcher look wrong. As I understand from one of your previous messages, you see this issue when using Samsung S9+ using Chrome, am I right? I'm asking this because I can use this device on my side but I wanted to make sure that I understand exactly what you said.

Regarding the licenses, of course you can stop using it for the developing domain and move it to a different one. There's no point in using a license for a development site. All you have to unregister the dev site through Dashboard → Plugins → Add new → Commercial tab and register the new domain.

Thanks,
Radu

July 2, 2019 at 3:38 pm #4128487

rosmarieF

Thank you Radu,
great.
Regarding the correct view of the switcher:

It does not work with Chrome and it does not work with Safari
if you use a smartphone with a 5" display.
May be, if you use a larger one, i.e. 5,5" it should work.

Kind regards
Rosmarie

July 3, 2019 at 9:40 am #4134087

Radu
Supporter

Hey Rosmarie,

Can you tell me what's the device that you're using with Safari, please? I checked this browser on my laptop and the language switcher is displayed in just one line (see the attached screenshot).

Thanks,
Radu