Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Philippe 3 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
February 12, 2018 at 9:36 pm #1515445

Philippe

Hi there,

On my web store, I sell many books. Some of them are originally written in French, other in English.

Every book description has been translated in both languages. So you can see French and English books if you are on either the French or the English website.

Presently, on the product page, my products are sorted by SKU.

When I'm on the French website, I see the French books before the English ones.

When I'm on the English website, I also see the French books before the English ones (normal, they are sorted by SKU...), but I would like to see the English ones first.

How can I sort my product so the ones originally in the selected webiste's language appear first?

Thank you!

(Prensently English translation is still hidden. You would need credentials to login and see it)

English-website.png
French-website.png
February 14, 2018 at 12:34 am #1516948

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-08:00)

Hello,

You should be able to go to Products-> Select the language "English" then on the top bar again select "Sorting".

From within there you should be able to sort your products, putting the French after the English

once done you can simply refresh the front end and see the change.

let me know your results

February 14, 2018 at 4:40 pm #1517996

Philippe

Hello Bobby,

Thank you for your help. I think I have done what you told me, but it doesn't change anything on the front end. It just sort products by name in the backend. If you have time, I think I would give you credentials to access directly...

Sorting.png
February 14, 2018 at 6:44 pm #1518152

Bobby
Supporter

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thank you,
Bobby

February 15, 2018 at 7:18 am #1518490

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details !

I apologize but my above suggestion is not what you need to achieve your goal..it would work for a site with maybe 10-20 products but not for what you are trying to achieve.

After more investigation into this i have found that the sort value is normally synchronized between translations. in this way you can maintain the same order between language translations.

In order to have different sorting for each language you will need custom work or with a 3rd party plugin and it is not something that WPML can offer 'out of the box' but rather a Woocomerce functionality.

hidden link

https://docs.woocommerce.com/document/custom-sorting-options-ascdesc/

hidden link

note: i have noticed you are use a sorting plugin (more sorting options..) if possible i suggest contacting the author and asking them about the possibility of using their plugin with a multilingual site.

February 15, 2018 at 1:09 pm #1518970

Philippe

Hello Bobby,

Ok, this answer is clear and accurate, so I know what is happening. Thank you for the plugins suggestions.