Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Izzi Hassan 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Izzi Hassan.

Author Posts
December 14, 2019 at 12:03 pm #5129321

Eduard Sans Pérez

I am trying to: get back a post that was in english but it is no longer in this language.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

this page should be a translation in english from the german post but now the german post is just duplicated into the english one. The weird thing is that we don´t recall duplicating the german version in the first place. Anyway, we tried going through its past revisions to find the english text but WPML still doesn´t show it anymore. Is there anyway to fix this?

December 14, 2019 at 12:24 pm #5129353

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to WPML Support.

Could you confirm how you translated the post initially? If you used the Advanced Translation Editor (ATE), you should be able to re-translate the post and the editor remembers your translations from previously, so they should be auto-completed.

You can test this by duplicating the original language post and then translating the new post. If you are able to easily re-translate the new post, then you should be able to do the same with the live post.

If you are not using the ATE, then I do believe you should have a revision in the database with the English translation but I'll need to take a look at the database to see what's happened.

I'm making your next response private. Could you take an export of your database and share a link to the file if re-translating the post does not auto-fill the translations for you? I'll take a look on my end and see if I can find your missing translation.

Thank you!

December 16, 2019 at 6:25 pm #5140605

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi Eduard,

"Database dump" refers to a backup of the database so you did provide the correct data!

However, for some reason, I'm unable to download the file. Our systems team can't find the file either so it seems like there was an issue during the upload.

Please upload the file to a location like Google Drive and provide a URL for us to download it. If the original translated post is in there, we can try to recover it but if you can't find it in revisions then chances are that we will be unable to do so. Still, worth a shot 🙂

As another idea, don't you have any backups from when the page worked properly? I actually tried to find an older version of your website on Google but this specific post did not exist past its current version.

If you have a backup using Updraft or some other plugin, you should be able to export the translated page out of it and import it to the live site.

I've made your next reply private again so you can provide the database again.

December 24, 2019 at 7:21 am #5188407

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi Eduard,

I'm sorry but I looked and I did not find any English translation for that page. There are a couple of revisions but all are in German in the database too.

You can try to re-translate the page, and you might find some translations auto-filled for you. Alternatively, if you have a backup containing that translation, you can load the backup and export that post, then import it into your live site.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help with this.

Thank you!