This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 1 year, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
May 17, 2018 at 10:29 am #2173669

ilonkav

I am trying to:
Since WPML >> Language URL format gave the message that the "language per file not will function" in Dutch notified: "Het ziet ernaar uit dat talen per bestandsmap niet zullen functioneren". So I added other domain names/URL's in the language I also purchased.
So for the Dutch part: vakantiewoningostfriesland.com
And for the English part: holidayhomeostfriesland.com

I entered, see print screen, but is says "not valid" in Dutch: "Niet geldig"?

What to do?

Kind regards,
Ilonka

May 17, 2018 at 1:29 pm #2176340

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

when you check the option "Different languages in directories", WPML does a quick test to check if everything will work. Sometimes this test says it won't work, but it's a false positive. So you should consider that message more as an advice than an actual error. The only proper way to see if language directories work is to enable them and then check the site.

Anyway, language domains are perfectly fine, but their require a bit more of effort to set up.
Just copying them in the box is not enough. You need to work on your server in order to make DNS point to your domains, and only then you can use them with WPML.

You also need to consider which domain, if ferienhausesostfriesland.com or vakantiewoningostfriesland.com, should be used for Dutch language.

Since server and hosting configuration can be very different, it's impossible for me to give more accurate instruction. I suggest you read our documentation here: https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/
and eventually ask your hosting provider.

Let me know if this helps you or if you need further assistance.

May 18, 2018 at 10:29 am #2188782

ilonkav

I managed to get the set-up correct in Pages and I am seeing now the option to translate and copy the standard language into other languages.
I copied the home page, it is still in German language though. I clicked on button translate separately see print screen (in Dutch), but when I click on it, no translation will be done? Also the title is still in German...
Can you give me some pointers, perhaps I missed out a step?
Kind regards, Ilonka

May 18, 2018 at 10:31 am #2188787

ilonkav

I managed to get the set-up correct in Pages and I am seeing now the option to translate and copy the standard language into other languages.
I copied the home page, it is still in German language though. I clicked on button translate separately see print screen (in Dutch), but when I click on it, no translation will be done? Also the title is still in German...
Can you give me some pointers, perhaps I missed out a step?
Kind regards, Ilonka

May 18, 2018 at 2:46 pm #2189908

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

I checked your site and you did the translation procedure correctly. However, as you said, you copied the texts, not translated them.
WPML does not translate automatically for you, so you need to provide the Dutch texts. That's why you see only German on your home page.

If you need help with translations, WPML allows professional translation services to create your texts directly on your site. More information here: https://wpml.org/documentation/content-translation/

If you still need help, I would ask you to open another ticket. We try to have only one issue per ticket, so it's easier for others to search the forum. This also allows supporters to be faster and more efficient.