Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 11 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
November 2, 2020 at 8:24 pm #7361753

mathieulaflamme

When I go to string translation there are a lot of strings. How do I only select the ones that are being used on my website?

November 3, 2020 at 3:37 am #7363403

Riffaz

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

In string translation the strings you see are automatic. You can not control it but you can simply translate the string only you want just by searching for them in the search field there.

Anyhow, let's say you want to show some specific string only in WPML > String Translation. Where and how you will select those strings to tell WPML to show those specific strings in String Translation? if you have any idea that would be great feature though. Would you mind sending a feature request for this? https://wpml.org/suggest-a-new-feature-for-wpml/

Regards,
Riffaz.

String Translation ‹ WPML test site — WordPress 2020-11-03 09-05-37.jpg
November 3, 2020 at 1:35 pm #7367745

mathieulaflamme

But when I do what you suggested, I end up with almost 4000 translations and I'm sure I don't need that many, how then do I selected the ones I want?

November 4, 2020 at 7:22 am #7372973

Riffaz

Hi,

In that case, select "exact match" when you search the string you want.
This will give you only one result.

Please check and let me know the results.

Regards,

how to select useful strings - WPML 2020-11-04 12-50-17.jpg
November 9, 2020 at 5:54 pm #7410641

mathieulaflamme

You've not understood my problem. On my site there are a lot of little stings. Take a look at a typical page here hidden link

Click around a bit and you'll see there are a lot of buttons, tags and links--all of which have text. Are you saying that I have to go through and search for every single item used on my website one at a time? Please be clear this is really stressing me out, there is a lot of text and I feel like it would take me weeks if I had to search for it all.

November 10, 2020 at 4:16 am #7413281

Riffaz

Hi,

In that case, your strings should be under a specific domain for a specific section / feature.
So simply choose the text domain of those strings and you will see the strings for that specific text domain.
Refer the attached screenshot.

Regards,

String Translation ‹ WPML test site — WordPress 2020-11-10 09-42-22.jpg

The topic ‘[Closed] how to select useful strings’ is closed to new replies.