Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by hollyJ 7 months ago.

Author Posts
October 24, 2021 at 2:13 pm #9851563

hollyJ

Hi, I have translated my first page and it has used the title as the slug. I think to change this I have to adjust the url to the second option ie 'Translate' please see the attachment. If this is so, I have the following questions:

1) How do I change the permalink of the page I have already translated (other than the home page there is only one) hidden link the english version is hidden link and in this case the translation doesn't really make sense so I would like to do it manually.

2) How are translations dealt with where there are internal links on pages - I assume that by default they go to the english version?

3) If the above is so when there is a french version how does a page recognise the french url when it is a link?

Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 14.52.07.png
October 26, 2021 at 2:45 pm #9865807

Otto
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Argentina/Buenos_Aires (GMT-03:00)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support forum.

Please apologize for the delay in answering. This is not usual in this forum. While one of my teammates takes care of your case I will provide you with the first steps.

Make a small change in the original page and send it again to translate. The slug will appear in the Translation Editor now.

You can "translate" the links here:
WPML -> Settings -> Translate Link Targets

But, it dependes on how and where the links where inserted in the original content and also it may fail if the link was already edited in the translation.

Links are translated automatically, so if the original page has a link to a translated page. The translated page will link to the right language.

This may be useful too:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/sticky-links/

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Otto

Let us know if it helps.
Andrés

October 27, 2021 at 9:40 am #9872375

hollyJ

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!