Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by miroslawG 5 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Denise.

Author Posts
June 7, 2016 at 8:41 pm #900386

miroslawG

Hello,

I am trying to set up a welcome page for my website with language selection based on visitor location. I have Aurum theme that supports WPML and they have included a sample of that kind of welcome page. Each location you link with url with desired language. I want my visitors to see that page after they get to my defult domain: mydomain.com

May anyone help with that? I mean - what is the best way to set it up and how to do it e.g:

1. Set up a root page - then how to link it with the welcome page?
2. Setting up a welcome page url as homepage (mydomain.com) and my current homepage move to url -> mydomain.com/home ?
3. Something else?

Would appreciate your help. Looking forward hearing from you.

June 8, 2016 at 8:54 am #900702

Denise

Hi,

I'll help you with this.

WPML has a feature that allows you to create a root page that will appear at your base url (mydomain.com) and allow visitors to select their language. This feature is available if your site is configured to have Different languages in directories and you Use a directory for your default language. These options are found in WPML - Languages - Language URL format

1. Set up a root page - then how to link it with the welcome page?
If you have a root page then it would link to the homepage of each language. If you set up your welcome page as your homepage then this will be linked to your root page.

2. Setting up a welcome page url as homepage (mydomain.com) and my current homepage move to url -> mydomain.com/home ?
You could do this if you do not want to use the languages in different directories feature.

3. Something else?
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/directory-default-language/

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Denise

June 9, 2016 at 11:53 am #903678

miroslawG

Hi Denise,

Thanks for sending this over. I managed to solve the problem.

Best,
Miroslaw