Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 0.28 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
December 7, 2019 at 9:17 pm #5087925

stefanS-102

Hi!

1. We´ve changed from parameter to directory in the url structure. Google has indexed pages with the ?lang parameter that does not work anymore. How do we redirect those to the directory structure?

2. We still have internal links where ?lang is present, how do we change those to directory structure?

I´ve read threads where people asking the same thing and you have answered that its outside your support scope. Its not, WPML has the option to change url structure so WPML should support that without pages breaking.

Thanks

December 10, 2019 at 12:18 pm #5099723

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Stefan,

1. If you changed the structure of the URLs, Google will index them again and correct the links. However, this will take some time (as far as I know). In the meantime, you can use a plugin for adding some redirects from older URLs to the new ones. Here's an example of plugin that you can use https://wordpress.org/plugins/redirection/

2. When changing the URL structure from parameter to directory, all the links across the website should change too. Do you use any caching plugin? If yes, please try to clear all the cache modules and see if things are going back to normal.

If the issue is still there, please send me a link to one or two pages where I can see this issue so I can have a closer look. Also, access to the dashboard area would be great too. This way I'll be able to check the structure of the URL and see why is this happening.

The next reply is set to be private so you can safely send me the credentials.

Thanks,
Radu

December 11, 2019 at 1:08 am #5103673

stefanS-102

Hi!

The urls where not translated automatically. Atleast not the ones inside posts and text widgets. We´ve done that manually now.

December 11, 2019 at 9:16 am #5104819

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Stefan,

So is everything back to normal, now that you edited all the links manually?

Usually, when you need to change the links inside posts and widgets, the option Dashboard → WPML → Settings → Translate Link Targets is the one that you can use to automatically change the links. Next time you need to do this kind of change, you can try this option.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] How to support ?lang parameter when changing to directory’ is closed to new replies.