This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.91 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The client has a site with default language Dutch, and he created the pages originally in Dutch and then translated to English. Then he wanted to add French, and wanted to know if it is ok to translate one page from English (second language) to French? Solution:

If your post is created originally in Dutch and you want to translate it to English and French, it is better to always use the Dutch post as a source for the two languages, and avoid translating from Dutch -> English and then English -> French, better to also use Dutch -> French

Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by John-Pierre Cornelissen 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Ahmed Ibrahim.

Author Posts
October 18, 2018 at 8:10 am #2827136

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Tell us what you are trying to do?

The content source of this website is Dutch and it has been translated into English.
Now the site also needs to be translated into 6 other languages, except for the privacy statement, that remains just in Dutch + English, so someone visiting the site in French will need to see the English privacy statement.

What's the best way to accomplish this?
Should I simply 'edit' the English translation and then use the duplicate option to duplicate it to the other languages?

Thanks
JP

October 18, 2018 at 11:42 am #2827829

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi, and thanks for contacting our support forum.

If your post is created originally in Dutch and you want to translate it to English and French, it is better to always use the Dutch post as a source for the two languages, and avoid translating from Dutch -> English and then English -> French, better to also use Dutch -> French, and you can simply copy the content from the English page manually if you want to use the English text at the French page.

Please let me know if that helps you.
Best Regards.

October 18, 2018 at 12:20 pm #2827913

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Hi and thanks.

Maybe my question wasn't clear.

I don't really want to translate to French, Spanish, German etc. but website visitors who speak these languages will better understand English.

So that page is only translated from Dutch to English.

Why manually copy & paste English to French? Isn't duplicating from English not better and easier so it will also sync (if that's needed)?

Thanks
JP

October 18, 2018 at 4:24 pm #2828777

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, it should work, but I was talking about the best practice which is making the source of all the languages be the same, but I think what you have mentioned should also work fine.

Best Regards.

October 18, 2018 at 5:00 pm #2828889

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Yeah I understand and agree it's better to have the same source. It's just this special situation where not the actual source but a translation of it should be used in all other languages. It's better to have it translated from the source in the right language, but the customer doesn't want to because $$$

Thanks
JP

October 19, 2018 at 9:24 am #2831359

Ahmed Ibrahim
Supporter

Hi,

Ok, I understand 🙂 so if it is ok now, please close this thread and feel free to open a new one if you have any issues.

Best Regards.
Ahmed Ibrahim

October 19, 2018 at 10:03 am #2831503

John-Pierre Cornelissen

Question answered