This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.19 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by John 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Izzi Hassan.

Author Posts
September 22, 2019 at 11:38 pm #4619589

John

I remember seeing something about translating the generated menu when I did the Menu Sync, but I can't find my way back to the information.

September 23, 2019 at 8:33 am #4621621

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi John,

The information you are looking for is available on this page in the documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Once you sync menus using WPML, you can translate the generated menu items by clicking on the link at the bottom of the Menu Sync page. This will take you to the String Translations page with list already filtered.

You can also find the items to translate by going to WPML -> String Translations, and filtering the list by the desired menu’s domain using the “Select strings within domain” dropdown.

If you cannot find the generated menu items in String Translation for some reason, you can also go to Appearance -> Menus, and translate the items there by selecting a different language from the list of languages as shown in the attached screenshot. This will allow you to directly edit a translated menu.

As mentioned in the documentation, you will need to sync the menus one more time after translating the items. Please note that a translation must exist for a page or post before you can provide a translation for the menu link to it.

September 23, 2019 at 6:53 pm #4626189

John

I went into String Translation -- Select strings within domain -- principal menu. I translated the strings I could find. I couldn't see all the menu items, especially not those which are in a menu item dropdown list. I went back to Menu Sync and clicked Sync. Nothing changed in the menu of the secondary language.

September 24, 2019 at 6:34 am #4628325

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

When you sync the menus, any items that are missing from the translated menus, as well as the ordering of items should all get synced up to the primary menu. Can you confirm that this is happening?

If you are having trouble with the String Translation page, you can go to Appearance -> Menus, choose a different language, and translate the items there. You should be able to see all items that were created by the sync process.

Please let us know if you are still unable to translate any menu items or if there’s an issue with the Sync.

September 25, 2019 at 8:13 pm #4642001

John

Default language = French, Secondary language = English. I went into Appearance as you suggested. I switched to the secondary language (English) and started translating the menu navigation labels. I saved the menu and went back to the site home page. Now everything is wrong. Only four of five menu items are showing. The language selector is gone. Both menus are in English. All the subitems under the menu headings are gone. Under Appearance - Menus there is no menu either on the English side or the French side. Where has the menu gone?

September 25, 2019 at 11:01 pm #4642191

John

Actually it's even worse. None of the menu items are connected to anything. I can't even start over, because I can't get rid of the bad menu that is displayed, as there is no menu at all under appearances. I am working on a copy of the online site for purposes of translation. The original menu is visible in the online site: kio-o.ca. There are 14 items in the dropdown lists under the menu titles, and all are gone.

September 26, 2019 at 9:42 am #4645357

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

I think that you may have accidentally started creating new menus instead of translating your original menu.

Please follow the steps below:

- Go to Appearance -> Menu
- Make sure you have “French” selected as shown in the screenshot.
- I think this may solve the reason you are not seeing a menu on this page any more.
- Confirm that you see a “Pen” edit button next to “Translations: English”.

If you see a "Plus Sign" add button instead, that means you do not have an English translation available for the menu. This should not be the case since you already synced the menus using Menu Sync

- Click on the Edit button and translate the menu items shown, or modify the menu, then save the menu Refresh the page and confirm that the menu is still there

If you could also send us some screenshots of your Appearance -> Menus page for both languages, it should tell us if there is an issue with how you created the menus, or if there’s a greater problem with your WordPress or WPML configuration.

You can also give us access to your test site in the next message. This access is securely transmitted to us and kept private between you and me. We prefer not to work with client sites directly, but it might help speed up resolution of your issue if I can take a look directly.

September 27, 2019 at 12:20 pm #4654037

Izzi Hassan
Supporter

Hi,

I tested the Menu Sync by creating a test site from yours. You can see the results here:
hidden link

I was able to confirm that the Menu Sync is working as expected. It’s possible that there was some misunderstanding and your original menu language was accidentally changed to English, after which you updated it so the French menu seemed to disappear.

I've created two empty menus with just a sample link and the social media iconsPlease follow these steps to try and recreate the French menu, and then create a translated English menu:

- Recreate your French menu.
I’ve switched your menu’s language back to French. You will need to recreate the menu from your live site in French first. We cannot recover the menu you had before.

- Confirm that the French menu is showing properly
Once you have recreated your original menu, you can click “Save” and confirm that it is showing properly on the front-end.

- Sync the menus
If you’re happy with the French menu, next you should run a menu sync. Please note that only items in the French menu that have English translations will be copied.

This means that some items may not be copied to the English menu. You can see that I have done this for one page that does have an English translation and you can also see that both menus show up on the front end.

- Translate the English menu and add or remove items
Go to Appearance -> Menu, and click on the “Translations: English” link. You should see all the translated pages corresponding to the French menu now.

If this is not what you see, please let us know and I’ll take a look to see what is happening. You can now edit this menu, change labels, URLs and add or remove items as needed. Don’t forget to click “Save”!

Confirm that both menus are showing properly
If you go to the front end, and click on the button for “English” at the bottom of the page, you should see the correct English menu show up now as well.

Please try these steps and confirm that your issue is resolved, or let us know if you still have a problem with the menu and I’ll be happy to assist you further.

September 27, 2019 at 6:50 pm #4656413

John

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!