Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 4 years, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
April 29, 2019 at 4:04 pm #3705235

jeromem-5

Dear WPML support,

I would like to translate only the names of the terms from a custom taxonomy, without translating posts.

Is it something possible and if yes, how to process?

Thanks

Jerome

April 30, 2019 at 3:39 am #3707761

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

You can go to WPML -> Taxonomy Translation translation and translate those taxonomies terms.

More details: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-post-categories-and-custom-taxonomies/

Kind Regards,
Shekhar

April 30, 2019 at 7:18 am #3708523

jeromem-5

Hi Shekhar,

Thanks for the support and the quick reply.
I have already set as well the translation of the custom taxonomy but it seems that I have also to translate posts to get it working. I just need to translate terms, keeping posts as they are (without translations).

All best,
Jerome

April 30, 2019 at 7:21 am #3708625

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

but it seems that I have also to translate posts to get it working

Could you please provide a link where it's not working? A brief example of what you expect and what's the current results will even help more.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

April 30, 2019 at 7:35 am #3708817

jeromem-5

I'm using the following loop to display taxonomy terms

foreach( get_terms( 'location', array( 'hide_empty' => false, 'parent' => $parent_term->term_id ) ) as $child_term ):

It works only for the main langage (english), look like the slug for the other langage (french) is different, is it?

May 2, 2019 at 5:38 am #3721917

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Could you please use the solution provided here and let me know if this helps?
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-filter-get_terms-function-my-own-language/#post-1279179

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

May 9, 2019 at 6:49 am #3773381

jeromem-5

Hi Shekhar,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the solution, it helps me to use the arg

'hide_empty' => false

in the loop. The only problem is that I have to take care to not have empty categories. I'll try to deal with it, thanks for the support!

May 9, 2019 at 6:52 am #3773389

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Glad to know it helped you to fix the issue. If there are no issues remaining, we can mark the ticket as resolved.

Thanks

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.