Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
I use SKU as a product description so I need to translate it.
I opened wpml-config.xml in woocommerce-multilanguage folder to set

<custom-field action="copy">_sku</custom-field>

to

<custom-field action="translate">_sku</custom-field>

Solution:
Looking at the product editor, you can see this message: "SKU refers to a Stock-keeping unit, a unique identifier for each distinct product and service that can be purchased."
With WCML, that means you have one product with two names (translations). Therefore we recommend not to use the SKU field as a product description.
Currently, we do not support to edit this field, it's blocked by our JavaScript code and the remote file wpml-config.xml.
You can use other fields for this purpose, even custom fields.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.96 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Robert 4 years, 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Dat Hoang.

Author Posts
December 3, 2015 at 2:48 am #760211

Robert

Hi,

I use SKU as a product description so I need to translate it. I tried wpml_config.xml in woocommerce-multilanguage folder to set

<custom-field action="copy">_sku</custom-field> to 		<custom-field action="translate">_sku</custom-field>

but stayed on "copy" in "Translation management"

I guess I could use: "Choose what to do when clicking on the translation controls for products: Go to the native WooCommerce product editing screen" but will that give me problems?

Thanks!

Regards
Rob

December 3, 2015 at 4:57 am #760231

Robert

Edit: "Go to the native WooCommerce product editing screen" the SKU is locked. So that's not an option.

December 4, 2015 at 12:26 am #761132

Robert

Also, I can't seem to find the translation in "string translation" for the woocommerce button "View details" for my product overview: hidden link
Thanks!

December 4, 2015 at 9:02 am #761256

Dat Hoang

Look at the product editor, you can see this message: "SKU refers to a Stock-keeping unit, a unique identifier for each distinct product and service that can be purchased."

So, in the case with WCML, that means you have one product with 2 names (translations). Therefore we recommend not to use this field SKU for your purpose.

Currently we do not support to edit this field, it's blocked by our JavaScript code and the remote file wpml-config.xml.

--------------

Please open a new ticket for the new problem. In each ticket, we focus on only one problem. That helps others with the same problem find the solution quickly.

December 7, 2015 at 2:24 am #762320

Robert

I see - my bad! I might have to use something else than SKU to show product description then.

Thanks!