This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Shekhar Bhandari 1 year, 1 month ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
August 13, 2018 at 12:46 pm #2639850

Ronan Power

We have a collection of pages that we translated from English into Chinese.

We now want to modify the translation on the Chinese pages but the layout of the Chinese pages have been changed significantly using the default WordPress editor such that they no longer resemble original English - Chinese layout, so we can't just edit our original translation job files and update the translation from them as we will lose all our layout changes.

At the same time the the English source pages have also changed so that now the current English and Chinese pages look completely different from one another and as such we can't just send the English pages for translation again and update from our Translation Memory.

Is it possible to re-export the Chinese pages as they are to xliff and update the translations from these xliff. Or is our only recourse to manually edit the translations on each page?

Any possible Solutions are welcome.

August 14, 2018 at 11:47 am #2643196

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'd be happy to assist you further on this issue.

The only possible way to translate the content without losing translation & layout settings that you have set manually will be to manually edit the translations.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

August 22, 2018 at 2:24 pm #2667122

Ronan Power

sorry Away on Holidays, Summer !
so the issue is i need to find a way of updating a lot of content but i have the "original source (including CDATA)" leverage in a translation management system elsewhere.
so can i export the previous Target pages in with the new layouts and CDATA in any way at all ? so that i can update the textual element?
is. Can i re-export the xliff as if it were a target file and re-import it so that it contains the CDATA for the new layout ?
or can i update the page in any other way.
this would be a considerable difficulty in managing translated content

alternatively :
can i retranslate (update translation button and export as xliff) the source to target and update the translation with the new layout that way ?

can i do this from the export page as xml from wordpress ?
or
can i export the current translated page and update it it without making an additional translated copy of the page.

the main issue i am trying to resolve her is the bulk update of 100's of pages

with thanks,

August 23, 2018 at 9:46 am #2669487

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello @ronan,

I hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Regarding the issue, I am still confused about it, so to provide a concrete answer, could you please elaborate it abit further, what type of layout changes have been done? Have you done this manually from the backend? probably with an example or screenshot?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

August 24, 2018 at 12:07 pm #2673044

Ronan Power

basically : we translated a couple of hundred pages from english to chinese (for example)
we exported the XLIFFs which contained all the CDATA concerning the layouts etc

the client changed the content around and inserted some pictures etc (using Pagebuilder, not relevant)
Now they they need me to update the translations by way on an SEO Localisation improvement.

Normally all I would have to do is to update my TM (translation memory) using my TMS (translation management system) and re-export the original XLIFF (pages) and re-import them into the target to update everything but because the layout of the page has changed the original XLIFF (with CDATA) rebuilds the pages to the old design.

what i need is a way to grab the existing layout to update the target files (content) as if they were re-translations. or some other way of grabbing the files with the current layout, and updating the text and re-importing them.

However : It is worth noting (in this case) that the localised versions of these pages are no longer translations of the the source pages(files) as the original Source have all been modified "localised" individually too.

it would be preferable to not have to retranslate pages as there is (A. no original source and B it has already been translated) or create new pages (because all the extra link building and menus will have to be done again) and all the 301s for the new page redirects will have to be managed too. The content differs very little except that the paragraphs have moved around and some terminology has changed so from a TMS perspective it would normally be a very easy job.

to a wider audience and to WPML developers the main benefit of this support topic/thread is to find a way to update target content using the WPML import-export "translation process" and also to overcome issues with page design layout might change and where the content needs to be re-leveraged or moved around, so providing a more efficient content management solution, which is of course a very big issue for large multilingual websites.

August 28, 2018 at 8:23 am #2681243

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Unfortunately, the only way to update those translations is to reexport XLIFF and manually adding the translations (That is added manually afterwards and differs from original). It's not possible to only update the certain data targets by just exporting and importing.

So here are the suggested steps for you:
- First, make sure you make changes accordingly in the default language
- Now export the xliff file and manually make changes to the translations and layout changes.
- Re-Import it.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks