This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices.

Last updated by Klaas Jacob Koopman 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Amir.

Author Posts
July 25, 2018 at 8:36 pm #2581723

Amir
Supporter

Thank you everyone who joined, commented and contributed ideas to our blog post about WordPress marketing:
https://wpml.org/2018/07/wordpress-marketing-sucks-will-you-help-fix-it/

Everyone who joined, including those who posted rants, were very helpful. It's important to understand exactly where we stand, before we propose changes.

A quick content analysis shows that the easiest way to improve WordPress marketing is by enriching the content on https://wordpress.org

The comments to our post included a lot of the benefits of WordPress over hosted solutions. Interestingly, almost none of this appears as "benefits" on wordpress.org website.

I think that with a bit of content writing and SEO we will be able to see results quickly.

So, my near-term objectives are:

1) Identify who controls the content on wordpress.org home (right now, I'm trying to find out in the Marketing Slack channel - hidden link )

2) Contribute content that will appear for different searches and explain why WordPress is a good solution.

3) Lobby to have this content published on WPORG.

---

We received a lot of comments about things that should improve in the WordPress project. This included (and not limited to) usability, performance, security, Gutenberg, WPML, support, integration, etc.

All of these things are important. However, I don't think that they should be excuses for not marketing WordPress itself.

---

I'd love to get your feedback. Additionally, if you have specific information or contacts that can help push this agenda, please tell.

July 25, 2018 at 11:42 pm #2581912

Tucango

Hey Amir,

What about sending an email first?
hidden link

Greetings

July 26, 2018 at 7:13 am #2583011

Amir
Supporter

Turns out that the WordPress.org marketing is a bit of a segmented operation. There's a "marketing" group, which covers several subjects. Then the "meta" group which covers other subjects and yet the "growth" group that covers other subjects.

All of these subjects are part of marketing and this split is causing things to be a little harder. I'm very new to this and I guess it's also due to the fact that all these efforts happen with partial time that people volunteer.

I'm getting to know people. They are friendly and welcoming. I very much hope that this will work.

Soon, I will need help writing content about subjects that I'm not an expert on. I hope that I will receive this help from WPML clients and from other theme and plugin authors that we work with.

July 26, 2018 at 7:14 am #2583013

Gustaw

Here is about the marketing team
https://wordpress.org/news/2018/07/quarterly-updates-q2-2018/
https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/
hidden link

July 26, 2018 at 10:28 am #2583757

peterN-9

@amir would it be an idea to involve / inform Matt? The creator of WP? When he reads your noble intent of getting WP promoted I am sure he will be more than willing and on board.

July 26, 2018 at 12:44 pm #2584134

expat

From where I sit (Europe)

Poking Matt is a good idea as technical development needs to be wrapped up in marketing speak as well.
Just went to WPORG and the main marketing message is stale not addressing (my) respectively present needs.

no mention of globalization / language readiness
no mention of e- com readiness
“or app” afterthought? Should it not read “basically any device” “one software powers all devices”
manage “on the go” (mobile apps)
auto update (at least security)

Even if one scrolls down the above points are not addressed.

WP is no longer just a CMS for me it is a top OS that can power dreams.

Hope it helps
Expat ( Martin)

July 27, 2018 at 2:36 pm #2588632

Jay

If this forum is going to be a focal point for future discussion; do you have the ability to turn off auto-close comments just on this thread. I'm seeing a warning this has been [Resolved] 🙁

Congratulations Amir for your progress so far. After reading through the existing WP.org site I can see why even Google isn't paying much attention. It obviously needs to be more end user focused (not just tech focused) to appeal to a wider audience; especially that target market who are being drawn to the DIY hosted solutions.

Send out another email blast when more discussion / content is required. My AU timezone can be a little challenging for quick replies.

July 27, 2018 at 10:06 pm #2589619

Amir
Supporter

I set this thread as 'resolved' so that it doesn't attract attention from clients who are looking for fixes to technical problems. It also prevents our supporters from getting pings about messages. I get updates about every message.

What I gathered so far:

1) The WordPress Marketing team is full of people who care a lot.

2) The efforts in the marketing team is not focused around wordpress.org website at all. They have many other projects about important things, but nothing about utilizing one of the most powerful sites on the Web. Unfortunately.

3) It seems that the great people in the WP Marketing team don't have the time/capacity to do more than they are doing already.

My suggestion is to join and get things moving. It's a community project and we're the community.

To help:

1) Register to get involved. Start here:
https://make.wordpress.org/marketing/handbook/getting-involved/

2) Create your Slack user and join the WP Slack. Open the Marketing channel:
hidden link

3) I created a task in their Trello board about what's missing on WPORG:
hidden link

There are many tasks on that board under "Wishlist". To move these from wishlist to action, we need to lobby. If many of us will join Slack and would ping about it, the priority will go up.

I hope to see many votes.

August 15, 2018 at 12:07 pm #2646334

Klaas Jacob Koopman

I can't see the 'hidden links'?