This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
October 4, 2018 at 8:42 am #2786715

robinS-3

Hi,

I need help with href-back links, our SEO Tool Sistrix has been showing us the following errors for about 2 weeks:

1. Hreflang back-link is missing

2. Broken Hreflang link

Any idea to fix this issue?

Thanks in advanced.

Best Regards
Marc

October 4, 2018 at 3:34 pm #2788018

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi Marc and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

By analyzing your website, I can see that for the English version, instead of the "en" hreflang, you are using "x-default".

As it is mentioned on the Sistrix website (hidden link), "..the x-default hreflang attribute value signals to our algorithms that this page doesn’t target any specific language or locale and is the default page when no other page is better suited.".

Because you need to target/direct that page's content specifically to the English language, we need to change the "x-default" to "en" in the WPML -> Languages -> Edit Languages.

Please let me know if this solves the issue or if you need further details.

Thank you.

Related documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/#check-your-hreflang-settings-and-make-sure-they-are-as-you-intend-them-to-be

More info about the "x-default" hreflang:
hidden link

October 8, 2018 at 11:00 am #2795692

robinS-3

Hi Mihai,

I changed "x-default" to "en" and it solves the problems #2 "Broken Hreflang link". Thank you for this.

We still get the errors for "Hreflang back-link is missing" because there are still links from a URL without backlink to a URL with backlinks. (see screenshot)

The roblem is, that I can not opn th page " hidden link" for example, bcause WP automatically redirect to the vrsion " hidden link" with backslash.

Best Regards
Marc

October 9, 2018 at 9:54 am #2799259

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I'm glad that we managed to fix the first part of the issue.

I'm not sure though that I understand very well what you mean about this "We still get the errors for "Hreflang back-link is missing" because there are still links from a URL without backlink to a URL with backlinks. (see screenshot)

The roblem is, that I can not opn th page " hidden link" for example, bcause WP automatically redirect to the vrsion " hidden link" with backslash."

From my tests, I can visit both version of the links (hidden link and hidden link) without experiencing any redirection (I am attaching screenshots).

Also if I run a test here (hidden link) by adding in your site's address, everything looks clean and alright.

Can you please elaborate a little more regarding what you mean?

October 16, 2018 at 8:55 am #2820194

robinS-3

Hi Mihai,

I can now also open the pages without backslashes.

the problem is, when I open hidden link in the source code there are the following hreflang's

<link rel="alternate" hreflang="en" href="hidden link" />
<link rel="alternate" hreflang="de" href="hidden link" />
<link rel="alternate" hreflang="fr" href="hidden link" />

Sistrix now see this urls (with and without backslash) as two differnet urls and results in an error.

Is here a workaround/solution to fix this?

Regards
Marc

October 17, 2018 at 1:42 pm #2824763

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Marc.

The default WordPress behavior is to have a slash at the end of the page link and I don't recommend redirecting the links to a non-trailing-slash version. I think this issue is caused by the fact that there are probably some redirect rules that might have been used with the Redirection plugin that is installed on your site to force the links structure into a specific form.

More than this, Google doesn't really have a preference between this two as it is written here: https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/190732/should-there-be-a-trailing-slash-in-the-permalink
hidden link

However, I still suggest removing any permalink redirect rules that have been set so that the default WordPress link structure would be followed.

Practically Google is seeing them as links and this should not affect your SEO.

I also did another test with your site on this hreflang checker (hidden link) and I see no issues happening on the site.

If Sistrix, however, is giving you an error, I would suggest searching that exact error online or even get in touch with their support team and ask for their opinion on this.

Please let me know how that goes!

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 18, 2018 at 4:07 pm #2828723

robinS-3

Hello Mihai,

Thank you for the detailed feedback. I will get in touch with Sistrix directly.

Best Regards
Marc

October 18, 2018 at 4:08 pm #2828728

robinS-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!