Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 15:00 8:00 – 15:00 8:00 – 15:00 8:00 – 15:00 8:00 – 15:00 -
- 16:00 – 17:00 16:00 – 17:00 16:00 – 17:00 16:00 – 17:00 16:00 – 17:00 -

Supporter timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Alejandro.

Author Posts
November 22, 2019 at 9:01 am #4995097

johanS-25

I am trying to: Remove the hreflang tag on pages that I have set to Noindex.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: This page is set to Noindex hidden link and should not have a hreflang reference from the other markets, such as: view-source:hidden link

I expected to see: No hreflang: <link rel="alternate" hreflang="en-ca" href="hidden link" />

Instead, I got: The hreflang is there in the source code.

See why this is wrong here: hidden link

The Noindex is set by Yoast, WPML needs to listen to the Noindex instructions from there.
I cannot be the first one experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

November 23, 2019 at 10:42 am #5003517

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

I have created a test server to reproduce this issue, with English and Spanish. Would you please create and translate a couple of pages to demonstrate this issue.
Use this URL to login hidden link

Can you also give detailed steps of your settings we should follow to reproduce the issue from scratch?

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

November 25, 2019 at 9:50 am #5009649

johanS-25

The issue has been reproduced on:

hidden link

Where there is a hreflang reference the the noindex page:

hidden link

This is with standard settings, I did not change anything.

This is quite a big issue and will lead to Google ignore the hreflang all together in my case, and in many other cases as well. This is something that you need to fix with the plugin. Or am I missing some settings?

Let's me know how we can solve it now on our website, and then you need to build in this functionality in to the plugin.

November 26, 2019 at 11:31 am #5020673

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your collaboration. I still need to clarify some information before escalating to developers. I compared the test page and its translation and could not find where did you set the Spanish translation as noindex. The only thing I think of is the screenshot attached, but it is still the same for both English and Spanish.

I am sorry, I am not too familiar with Yoast, can you tell me where do you set a page as noinxed?

Best regards,
Jamal

yoast-noindex-question.png
November 28, 2019 at 2:18 pm #5036711

johanS-25

In your image the part "Allow search engines to show this page in search results?"
No

The "No" part indicates that it is set to Noindex.

Ok, yes please escalate it further then, thanks!

November 28, 2019 at 5:09 pm #5038489

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the explanation. The ticket is now escalated to our developers.
I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Jamal

January 21, 2020 at 12:26 pm #5332247

johanS-25

Hi Jamal, did you get any feedback from your developers yet?

June 17, 2020 at 1:32 pm #6394367

johanS-25

Hi again Jamal,

This ticket has not been resolved yet and I have been waiting for a reply for 6 months now.
Can you please update me what it is that takes so much time?

We need to have a reply on this by the end of this week.

I have replicated this issues on more sites as well, this is a core issue with wpml not syncing with yoast, you need to address this asap.

Thanks.

June 18, 2020 at 10:52 am #6402281

johanS-25

It seems like Jamal have stopped replying, is he still working for wpml? Can I get some developer to assist me with this ticket.

June 19, 2020 at 7:16 am #6409997

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello!

Jamal is still working here, yes, but he's on another team now. i'll take over this ticket from now on and i apologize if you weren't updated in the meantime.

The problem is still under review plus there were many changes in Yoast which made us have that as a priority.

However i hope the next update will have this change and will let you know if we have any news about this (i asked our developers for an update and will let you know as soon as they answer my request)

Regards.

June 19, 2020 at 7:18 am #6410049

Alejandro
Supporter

In the meantime, if you replicated the problem on a clean instal, would you kindly please send me a duplicator copy so i can update our developers with it?

If you already know how Duplicator works (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/),
please skip the following steps and just send me the archive file you downloaded.

★ Duplicator Instructions
hidden link
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

If the file is too large (more than 400M), please use the Duplicator file filters to remove the cache, the wp-uploads directory, the media and the archive files.

Send me the link to the archive file (you probably want to use Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big).

Your next reply will be private, which means that only you and I will be able to see it and have access to it.

You can paste the link to the file there.

Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site.

June 22, 2020 at 5:56 am #6423329

johanS-25

Hi Alejandro,

Thanks for your reply.

When is the next planned update to roll out?

No need to send you the duplicator file, you can replicate this from your end on any installation if you follow the setup as stated in my first post.

June 22, 2020 at 11:24 am #6425675

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello, the last few Unit tests need to pass in order for the update to be rolled-out, we don't have an ETA for this, i asked our developers about this and this particular issue requires a feature that is still not yet finished (that's why it has taken so long to be rolled out).

Jamal had sent your link about why this should be the way it's mentioned in that link and we now need to wait to have that rolled-out because that scenario was actually never even brought to our attention before.

In the meantime, we really really appreciate you pointing this out to us and i asked if we could increase its priority so it could be ready as fast as possible.

Our next Yoast SEO release will be ready between this and next week and hopefully it will include this change.

July 1, 2020 at 9:45 am #6493187

johanS-25

Hi again Alejandro,

Any news on the update roll out? Will it be available this week and will it include the the fix?

August 4, 2020 at 10:47 am #6732597

Alejandro
Supporter

Hi there!

After talking to our devs, they told me that it would be released in 1.3.0, but we don't have an ETA for it yet.

I'll change the status of this ticket so i can inform you once it's live.