This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 3.74 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno.

Author Posts
May 16, 2019 at 4:03 pm #3827763

haruni

Hello!

we are using wpml with panoramalanguages.com and we are utilizing sub-folders for each language so far --> for English panoramalanguages.com/en/, for Spanish panoramalanguages.com/es/ and so on.

We recently purchased a new Domain which we`d like to use for our English speaking clients. In this case we need to change our URL structure, since the /en/-folder will now link to another domain.

1) How do we do that with panoramalanguages.com
2) How do we put English as default language at the new domain and how do we manage the URL-structure there? All languages should be available at the new domain too, but without duplicating the content of panorama languages.
2b) Will there be automatically put hreflang-tags to each of them? What about an hreflang="x-default"-tag?

May 16, 2019 at 11:15 pm #3829831

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. You need to follow some steps for this.

1) First, you need to configure your domain as Alias so that this works properly with WPML. You can see the step by step in our documentation: https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

2) As far as I understand, at the moment the default language of your site is already English? Do you want to first change the primary language domain and then configure the secondary language with the current domain?

3) The WPML will normally handle hreflang tags. The WPML currently does not use the x-default attribute, but only uses hreflang with the language code.

Thank you.

May 17, 2019 at 9:35 am #3832745

haruni

Is there also an option to have all languages in folders like panoramalanguages.com/es/ + /nl/ etc. and put only 1 second external URL for English? If I switch the URL format to "different domains" I need to put an external URL (or subdomain) for every language instead of keeping the folders for the other languages...

May 17, 2019 at 6:26 pm #3836523

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

At this time, unfortunately not. You can choose only one URL format: parameters, domains per languages, or directories.

In this case, you can add subdomains to the secondary languages: es.site.com, nl.site.com, and different-domain-english.com.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.