This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Rajeeb Banstola 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Rajeeb Banstola.

Author Posts
May 29, 2019 at 1:48 pm

katieW-3

I am trying to:
Synchronise menus
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
I expected to see:
Menu sync
Instead, I got: HTTP 500 Connection Timeout

May 29, 2019 at 8:39 pm #3918601

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML! I'll be gald to help you today.

I checked your site and found that you have a lot of menu items as well as menus in different languages.

500 Connection Timeout usually means server wasn't able to finish the job in specified time which in your case is 300ms.

I suggest you to take a look at this article and increase PHP Time Limit to 500ms:

hidden link

Alternatively, when you sync menus, you can select which menu items to sync. Instead of selecting all, you can select some of the items. The server maybe able to finish the job even with current configuration.

Let me know if this helps!

May 30, 2019 at 8:31 am #3921335

katieW-3

Hello,

I increased it to 500 and still the same problem.

I then doubled it to 1000 and still no joy.

The reason I reported it as it used to work fine but now doesn't and the number of menus hasn't increased significantly since when it last worked,

Thanks,

May 31, 2019 at 7:11 am #3928233

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

Thank you for your patience and details.

I was able to sync menu items on your site without seeing a 500 error. I also made a duplicator package from your site and tested on my local environment which went through sucessfully.

Can you please confirm if you are still facing the issue?

Also, please include error log from your server so that we can find the cause of the error. You can ask your hosting provider for this.

May 31, 2019 at 8:32 am #3928491

katieW-3

Hello Rajeeb,

That's baffling 🙁 It's working fine today, the last 2 days, it refused to work at all.

How do you choose only a specific menu to translate, I can only see one Sync button for all menus and due to project timelines we had to do the translation manually through the wordpress menu editor but for future reference it would be helpful to know.

We don't want to click just the Sync button in case it overwrites our manual changes.

Thanks.

May 31, 2019 at 9:39 pm #3933463

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

Thank you for confirming.

Once you click sync button from WPML - WP Menus Sync, you can select which menu items do you want to update.

I've attached a screenshot to make it clearer.

Regards,

June 3, 2019 at 7:45 am #3939899

katieW-3

Hi Rajeeb,

Before I click the sync button, will that delete/overwrite all of the manual changes I have made to the menus? A lot of work has gone into creating those and I'd hate to try this and find the menu sync isn't what we need and then have a few hours of piecing the menus together again which unfortunately we don't have time for.

Thanks,
Vicky

June 4, 2019 at 1:00 am #3946709

Rajeeb Banstola

Hi,

When you hit the Sync button, if the menu items are mising, WPML will create those menu items. If the menu items already exist, WPML will just update them. The sync doesn't override the translated menus.

Morever, you are in full control over what menu items you want to update with the screen I sent you earlier.

Just to be on safe side, it's always good idea to make a backup before doing any major changes.

Let me know if you still any other help!