This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Author Posts
March 20, 2017 at 9:42 pm #1235162

Muriel

I am trying to: Get the website onto https. The dutch version is ready: hidden link but the English version states that there is a detour, so therefor unsecure.

URL of (my) website where problem appears: hidden link

I expected to see: Safe lock turn green

Instead, I got: Error that the site is not safe, red lock.

Steps to duplicate the issue:

Just go to hidden link and you'll see.

I have already renewed the cache.
Replace and search for all the hidden link to hidden link if there were any. The wordpress is installed on the .nl hosting. .com is just an alias. The SSL certificate is installed on the NL hosting, as you cannot request a hosting for a domainname without hosting.

We are using: Use another domain per language for the switching of the languages.
What else can I do to make it work?

March 20, 2017 at 10:10 pm #1235183

Yuri

Hi, I've tested your certificate with a couple of online tools and the key is not valid for the .com domain so it will always resolve without the "green lock" because it understands that the correct domain for the certificate is the .nl one.

If I'm not mistaken you need to purchase an SSL certificate for each of the domain you want to use even though you are just redirecting it to another domain. This is because you are accessing the .com domain already in SSL so it does not match the certificate it has.

I suggest you contact your hosting service to check with them how you resolve this issue since I believe that you will need separate certificates for each URL.

For reference these are the two tools I used to check the certificate:
hidden link
and
hidden link

Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

March 20, 2017 at 10:16 pm #1235188

Muriel

I also placed this request at the support forum of the hosting provider.
If I needed to buy 2 different certificates, then I would also need to get 2 different hosting packages. Then I would not need to use WPML at all.

Because you cannot get a certificate on a domain name solely.

Can't imagine that I am the only person that uses WPML that has this issue. HOw do others do this? Buy a certificate and hosting for each domain name? Why would you keep on using WPML then?

March 21, 2017 at 12:53 am #1235238

Yuri

Hi, as far as I know there is no hard requirement to purchasing an SSL certificate with hosting. I believe that this is a requirement of the hosting service you are using.

We have many clients using multiple domains redirecting and even multiple domains sharing languages all using SSL certificates and sharing a single install of WordPress+WPML.

One solution for your situation would be to use the main domain .nl for both languages. You would configure WPML to work with each language as sub-directory, so English would be ghyczy.nl/en and use the ghyczy.com solely as a redirect to that URL. You would then leave ghyczy.nl with the main language in Dutch.

You would have this:

hidden link (main site in Dutch with SSL)
hidden link (main site in English with SSL)
hidden link (simple redirection to hidden link)

And you would not need to be concerned with the certificate for ghyczy.com since it would only be a redirection to the SSL hidden link.

March 21, 2017 at 9:45 am #1235476

Muriel

But that would make urls look like hidden link in stead of hidden link would it not?

March 21, 2017 at 9:46 pm #1236271

Yuri

Yes, it would. You could either do that or configure the certificate on the English domain so that it would be https like the Dutch one.

March 22, 2017 at 3:50 pm #1236981

Muriel

That would look horrible! Especially if you want to track the analytics.
We're still checking with the hosting what they think.

There has to be a better, easier and above all more logical way to do this.

March 22, 2017 at 8:52 pm #1237236

Yuri

Hi, it is really up to the client. We have all of the options available but in the end, it's you who will decide what is the best structure for your configuration.

I personally like to use multiple domains with the site showing in each of them instead of redirecting, but for that, you need the SSL certificate for both domains.

March 28, 2017 at 8:49 am #1241049

Muriel

Apparantly you need a multi-domain certificate when you want to do something like this, without getting a hosting for all domains. Our hosting provider told us they have made an error during our pre-sale inquiry. They had in mind that it would be a domain with a complete 301 redirect. Which is not the case.

Hope that this is the correct solution.
Will inform you when the certificate has been delivered and if it works.
So you guys can use it too for future reference. 😉

March 28, 2017 at 11:21 am #1241247

Yuri

No problem. I'll set this thread as Pending Resolution and when you have any updates you can re-open it and we will gladly help you.

April 3, 2017 at 4:12 pm #1246049

Muriel

Hi Yuri,

so the certificate has been installed today and it works!!
So for future reference, for these kinds of SSL/WPML/multi domain thisngies you need a multi-domain certificate. 🙂