This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 4 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
June 3, 2019 at 10:44 am

janL-29

I am trying to:
Hello! I am trying to translate an Avada site from Finnish to Swedish and English.

What's missing or not working for you?
In the string-translator there is currently some 14000 strings, most of which are unnecessary and/or already translated by the plugins' and theme's .po files (but they do not show as translated).

There is also a problem regarding some pages, the actual content doesn't show up as translateable and several pictures not used in a page show up.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

June 3, 2019 at 9:23 pm #3946227

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I checked the page link you included. I was able to get the text box to be included in the Translation Editor. You should now see it when you open the translation.

Do you have any other pages where this is occurs?

I will be splitting the Strings issue into a new ticket and look at this separately.

For the

June 4, 2019 at 6:49 am #3948513

janL-29

Hello! The problems is present on every untranslated page.

Where can I find the new ticket? Your message seems to have been cut short?

June 4, 2019 at 7:40 am #3948741

Yvette
Supporter

Hmmm - I see that - and for some reason I am unable to split this ticket again.

1. Missing Fields in Translation Editor
For the other pages that show the same issue. Please follow these steps:

1.1. "Save and complete" all open translation jobs.
You can copy all original text to the target page and then mark as complete.
The pencil icons should appear on the page listings.

1.2. Re-edit the original source page and introduce some kind of insignificant change (like an extra blank at the end of the sentence)
This triggers a re-load of translatable items into the translation editor.

1.3. Save the post - you should now see circular arrow icon indicating a translation update is required

1.4. Open the Translation Editor, you should now see all the fields in the translation editor.

In general, this tends to happen if you are in the process of translating a page and you then introduce more changes to the original source before the translation work is finished. The contents of the source page and what is in the translation editor cache gets unsynchronised.

2. Many Untranslated Strings
If you have the .po files, we can load them into the String Translation table so the strings are all translated already.

To do this, you can use the .po import/export interface. At least all the strings will be then translated.

At the moment, there is no way to exclude/stop the strings from being registered. This is being addressed in an upcoming release with major improvements on how this all works.

June 4, 2019 at 10:23 am #3950327

janL-29

Hi!

Regarding #1, is there any way to automate it? Can I run an SQL-query or something to force WPML to update all translations? This solution is quite tedious.

regarding #2, this seems to work - but maybe not quite as well, some strings get marked as halfway done even though they are translated.

June 4, 2019 at 3:32 pm #3953345

Yvette
Supporter

1. SQL
If you are adept at SQL...yes, you could automate it. I´m sorry to say that this is outside the scope of our support forum or my own capabilities.

I could perhaps direct you to a contractor here:
https://wpml.org/contractors/

Perhaps some have developed scripts that do this type of thing (??).

2. Import .po files
I wonder if you increasing your memory size for WordPress might help. If you run the process again only selecting the ones that did not completely import, do they then complete the import process and get marked as translated?

June 17, 2019 at 7:24 am #4032689

janL-29

Hello! This does seem a bit too tedious and it's perhaps not in our interest to hire a contractor to fix the basic functionality of the plugin. Is there a way to export all currently translated pages & custom post types (not individual strings) so I could remove all WPML-stuff and reinstall it? Seems like the faster route than doing your 4 step process for all pages (and feels like a quick fix that doesn't actually fix the problem, will I have to do the same thing for forever?)

June 17, 2019 at 7:31 am #4032781

janL-29

And replying to this:

In general, this tends to happen if you are in the process of translating a page and you then introduce more changes to the original source before the translation work is finished. The contents of the source page and what is in the translation editor cache gets unsynchronised.

This is not the case here, this is caused by something else.

June 17, 2019 at 8:39 am #4033255

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I am not sure since the real issue is with the Translation Jobs that are not completed with all the translatable fields.

What I have done in the past to "fix" this more quickly is to install the plugin "Duplicate Post". I then "clone" the original source post. By doing this, both the original and the translated posts are replicated into a new translation group.

I have found, then, that when I edit the "new" version of the post, the editable fields are all present. You might try this approach.

What it would imply is that existing menus are then updated to use the newer versions of the ccontent than the post pairs that are faulty.

What do you think?

The topic ‘[Closed] Huge amount of unnecessary strings & missing fields’ is closed to new replies.