This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Laura 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Laura.

Author Posts
May 29, 2019 at 1:33 pm #3916003

Erwin Bakker

Hello,

Recently we discovered huge performance drop downs in page speed / SEO on our online projects with WPML. At the moment the performance on our installations drop approximately 40 points in Google Pagespeed Insights. As an example I made some performance screenshots (before and after) from on of our projects:

WPML disabled:
hidden link

WPML enabled:
hidden link

We already tried a possible solution we found in another thread, but to no effect:
1 /** Memory Limit */
2 define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards,
Erwin Bakker

May 30, 2019 at 7:17 am #3920879

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hi Erwin,

thanks for contacting us.

Could you please try all the suggestion from here too? https://wpml.org/faq/prevent-performance-issues-with-wpml/

If nothing helps you, I'd take a copy of the site so we can further check the issue.

May 31, 2019 at 8:51 am #3928645

Erwin Bakker

Hi Laura,

Thanks for your reply. We tried all of these suggestions, but still to no effect. Please let me know if you can find anything else.

June 1, 2019 at 10:48 am #3934871

Erwin Bakker

Hello Laura,

Meanwhile the copy process seems to be completed. Please let me know if you need anything else.

June 2, 2019 at 4:41 pm #3937741

Laura
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Italian (Italiano ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hi,

thanks for the copy. I tested the page /series-modellen/tender/ with Pingdom but I didn't notice this huge difference. With WPML page speed is 1,54s and without it 1,42s.

I tried with Pagespeed insight and indeed it reports slower times responses, but it says it's mostly due to server. Since I don't know Dutch, I can't read what your screenshot says about your results, so please check if there are some warnings about the server.

I'll ask for a second opinion anyway.

June 3, 2019 at 2:10 pm #3943295

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

could we have your credentials so we can better test the issue?
We could also install some plugins but those shouldn't interfere with your site.
I'll enable a private reply.

June 4, 2019 at 8:51 am #3949373

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

I noticed you shared credentials for nautischcentrum.nl but the site you tested is hidden link so which one is correct?

June 4, 2019 at 11:01 am #3950669

Erwin Bakker

Hi,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I updated the credentials in the private message.

June 4, 2019 at 11:06 am #3950769

Laura
Supporter

You can also edit your previous post, but in any case here's the private reply.

June 4, 2019 at 11:12 am #3950869

Erwin Bakker

Hi Laura, I already updated the previous private message.

June 4, 2019 at 4:03 pm #3953569

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

thank you, we are checking the issue, I'll update you as soon as possible.

June 6, 2019 at 12:45 pm #3969297

Laura
Supporter

Hi,

the credentials provided do not work, however we tested on the copy of the site and from the 2nd tier they say everything seems normal, and the time registered are reasonable.

You may try installing a caching plugin W3TC to improve performance.