This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 23 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by José Arcos 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assigned support staff: José Arcos.

Author Posts
January 4, 2018 at 10:18 am

Muriel

The hosting provider of my client has contacted me as the website is using up all the sources.
So they have deactivated the website completely.

In the logs they have sent I find out that this issue is because of the string module.

SELECT DISTINCT s.id, s.name, s.context, st.status, s.gettext_context, st.value AS tra, st.mo_string AS mo_string, s.value AS orig FROM wp2015_icl_string_pages sp INNER JOIN wp2015_icl_string_urls su ON su.id = sp.url_id INNER JOIN wp2015_icl_strings s ON s.id = sp.string_id LEFT JOIN wp2015_icl_string_translations st ON s.id=st.string_id AND st.language=su.language AND s.language!=su.language WHERE (su.language='nl' and su.url='product-categorie/(.+?)/?$') or (su.language='nl' and su.url IS NULL)

SELECT DISTINCT s.id, s.name, s.context, st.status, s.gettext_context, st.value AS tra, st.mo_string AS mo_string, s.value AS orig FROM wp2015_icl_string_pages sp INNER JOIN wp2015_icl_string_urls su ON su.id = sp.url_id INNER JOIN wp2015_icl_strings s ON s.id = sp.string_id LEFT JOIN wp2015_icl_string_translations st ON s.id=st.string_id AND st.language=su.language AND s.language!=su.language WHERE (su.language='nl' and su.url='product-categorie/(.+?)/?$') or (su.language='nl' and su.url IS NULL)

SELECT DISTINCT s.id, s.name, s.context, st.status, s.gettext_context, st.value AS tra, st.mo_string AS mo_string, s.value AS orig FROM wp2015_icl_string_pages sp INNER JOIN wp2015_icl_string_urls su ON su.id = sp.url_id INNER JOIN wp2015_icl_strings s ON s.id = sp.string_id LEFT JOIN wp2015_icl_string_translations st ON s.id=st.string_id AND st.language=su.language AND s.language!=su.language WHERE (su.language='nl' and su.url='ajax-request') or (su.language='nl' and su.url IS NULL)

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/huge-performance-problems-causing-server-problems/ states a similar problem. The website has been updated on 15-12-2017 to the latest version.

wpml-string-translation.2.6.3
wpml-translation-management.2.4.3
wpml-media-translation.2.2.1
wpml-sticky-links.1.4.2
wpml-cms-nav.1.4.21
sitepress-multilingual-cms.3.8.4

January 4, 2018 at 10:55 am #1471583

Muriel

I can make the website accessible for you guys if you provide me with your ip-address. So a restricted access can be set up only for you and/or me via our hosting provider if that helps?

January 4, 2018 at 12:17 pm #1471683

José Arcos

Hello, thank you for contact us. I will try to do my best to help you.

I would ask you to do some debug steps before proceeding with other attempts. Could you disable all plugins except WPML plugin and addons and the ones that you need to work like WooCommerce or any others that are required? This test will spot if any of the plugins is causing the issue.

I would need a site snapshot if possible, in order to do some debugging in a local installation.

We usually recommend the free Plugin “Duplicator” for this purpose.

If you already know how Duplicator works
(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/),
please skip the following steps and just send me the archive file you downloaded.

** Duplicator Instructions **

hidden link

https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

If the file is too large (more than 200M), please use the Duplicator file filters to remove the cache, the wp-uploads directory, the media and the archive files.

Send me the archive file (you probably want to use Google Drive, DropBox, or similar services, as the snapshot file will be quite big)

Your next reply will be private, which means that only you and I will be able to see it and have access to it. You can paste the link to the file there. You can also share the credentials to your website. I will then download the file from the admin panel.

Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site.

Thank you.

January 5, 2018 at 10:29 am
January 5, 2018 at 10:31 am #1473908

José Arcos

Hello again, could you upload the Duplicator package to Google Drive, Dropbox or any other service? I have no access to your site, maybe due to IP restrictions.

Thank you.

January 5, 2018 at 10:39 am
January 5, 2018 at 10:41 am #1473927

José Arcos

Hello again, here's my current IP address in case of need. Thanks for provide me an alternative link.

IP: 148.3.27.252

I will do some debug with your site and I'll back to you as soon as I have something to share.

Thank you.

January 5, 2018 at 11:26 am #1474006

José Arcos

Hello again, could you bring me access to your site adding my IP to the server whitelist?

I need to do some debugging, and if you allow me I will install a plugin to do some debugging.

Thanks.

January 5, 2018 at 11:32 am #1474027

Muriel

I already requested this at the hosting company. Please be patient. As soon as your IP address has been added, I'll let you know.

January 5, 2018 at 4:20 pm #1474552

Muriel

Your IP-address has been added! Please let me know if and when there are any updates.
Keep in mind, we are not open during the weekend!

January 8, 2018 at 10:22 am #1476057

José Arcos

Hello again, I'm able to login to your site now, I'm doing some tests today and I'll be back to you as soon as I have something new to share.

January 9, 2018 at 3:58 pm #1478242

José Arcos

Hello again and sorry for the delay to answer. I've been testing your site in local, after doing some debugging and improvements I have been able to reduce the query load time, but they are still a bit slow. So I've escalated the issue to our developers, they are looking into it. I will be back as soon as I've something new to share.

Have a good day.

January 10, 2018 at 7:39 am #1478981

Muriel

Hi José, thank you for the update. Were those also tweaks that I could do, than please elaborate. As I have several clients with WPML which sites tend to get a lot slower due to the translation module.

January 11, 2018 at 3:42 pm #1481790

José Arcos

Hello again, thank you for your patience here.

Here are some tips to improve site performance. Before all, disable purge and disable cache plugins.

- Optimise database, you can do it easily with a plugin like WP-Optimize https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-optimize/
- Turn on auto-register IDs for the domains which prevent caching of strings if not on. Go to WPML -> String Translations, click on Edit button and check the first checkbox, that will check all checkboxes. See screenshot attached.
- (optional) Check what queries are running low with Debug Object plugin, check this documentation. https://wpml.org/faq/how-to-debug-performance-problems/

Please let me know if this solves the issue or if you need further details.

Have a good day.

February 7, 2018 at 9:15 am #1509578

Muriel

We have been running the website for quite some time now after your last reply. But the back-end is so slow it is not funny anymore. Switching to pages takes about 10 seconds! When I use your advised plug-in to check the queries, it seems that it has a problem with the WPML notices.

The database has been optimized as suggested, as well as enabling all auto-registering strings.

My client has a lot of patience, but this is pushing it. 😉

The topic ‘[Closed] huge performance issue – hosting deactivated site due to issue with WPML’ is closed to new replies.