This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by frank-stivenT 5 days, 21 hours ago.

Assigned support staff: Noman.

Author Posts
October 6, 2019 at 11:17 pm

frank-stivenT

I cannot configure WPML, I get an error: The site is experiencing difficulty

October 7, 2019 at 6:40 am #4704581

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. Could you please follow below steps and let me know how it goes?

1. I have noticed that your website’s WP Memory Limit is 40MB. The WP memory limit needs to be increased, it's different than php memory. PHP memory is fine but WordPress uses 40Mb as default in your site. Minimum requirements for WPML are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Please add this to the top of wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/* WP Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );

2. Please clear all sorts of caches in your site plugin cache (W3 Total Cache) / CDN cache (if any) / browser cache and then see if it resolves the issue afterwards.

3. If still issue persists, please check for a possible theme and plugin conflict. To do that you can switch back to any default theme (e.g. Twenty Seventeen theme), Disable all plugins except WPML and see if this issue goes away with default theme and only WPML activated?

Thank you

October 8, 2019 at 3:58 am #4712309

frank-stivenT

I previously had Polylang installed, but the theme I'm using is fully compatible with WPML. (hidden link)
I did steps 1 and 2, the problem persists, only step 3 remains but I already have a website in production.

October 8, 2019 at 4:14 am #4712317

frank-stivenT

Reviewing the restoration options that the WPML has, it allowed me to reach the WPML Configuration window, but after there the error returns.

October 8, 2019 at 10:34 am #4714313

Noman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Please enable error reporting at you site as I need to see the details of the error log. You can see how to enable debug logging here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/
https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

To enable it, open your ‘wp-config.php’ file and look for ‘define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);’. Change it to:

// Enable WP_DEBUG mode
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );

// Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

// Disable display of errors and warnings 
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
@ini_set( 'display_errors', 0 );

define( 'SCRIPT_DEBUG', true );

After adding the above code please try to reproduce the issue and this will create debug.log file in your site's wp-content directory. Please send me its contents.

Thank you

October 8, 2019 at 3:12 pm #4716699

frank-stivenT

Thanks Noman!

This is the content the log file:

[08-Oct-2019 15:09:40 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'DOMDocument' not found in /home/majestic/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/xml-config/class-wpml-xml-config-validate.php:61
Stack trace:
#0 /home/majestic/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/xml-config/class-wpml-xml-config-validate.php(45): WPML_XML_Config_Validate->get_xml('<wpml-config>\n\t...')
#1 /home/majestic/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/xml-config/class-wpml-xml-config-validate.php(28): WPML_XML_Config_Validate->from_string('<wpml-config>\n\t...')
#2 /home/majestic/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/xml-config/read/class-wpml-xml-config-read-file.php(18): WPML_XML_Config_Validate->from_file('/home/majestic/...')
#3 /home/majestic/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/xml-config/class-wpml-config.php(296): WPML_XML_Config_Read_File->get()
#4 /home/majestic/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/xml in /home/majestic/public_html/wp-content/plugins/sitepress-multilingual-cms/classes/xml-config/class-wpml-xml-config-validate.php on line 61

October 9, 2019 at 4:19 am #4719401

frank-stivenT

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

Check this post (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/uncaught-error-class-domdocument-not-found-2/) and compare what I had activated and not in PHP, activate the ones I observed from XML and the page worked for me:

Suggestion for future updates: Does PHP have any functionality to detect the activation of that property?