This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Alejandro.

Author Posts
October 15, 2018 at 9:54 am #2816907

doruR

Hi,

I tried to read the documentation, everything is to hard to follow and unclear. Really dissapointed. I just want to manually translate some pages, without services, apis, translation managers etc. You're really complicating things for nothing. So, can you please help figure out how to: 1. Create a page translation 2. Preview-ing the translation 3. Publishing it.

Thanks!

October 15, 2018 at 1:51 pm #2817810

Alejandro
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) Italian (Italiano )

Timezone: Europe/Rome (GMT+02:00)

Hello,
Welcome to WPML Support.
I'll do my best to help you solve this issue.

I'll try to write a simple step-by-step guide for you, in order to make it as easy for you as possible to follow it:

1) Go to WPML > Settings > Post Types Translation and make sure that "Post(Posts)" and "Pages" are set to one of the "translatable" options (as shown on attachment: "translatable post types.jpg" )

2) Now we can start translating our pages/posts. in here we have 2 paths we can follow:

2.1) The first path: Translate with the translation editor.

A) You already have the translation editor enabled, so you might want to follow this
path.
go to the page/post you want to translate and then search for the "Language" tab
and click on the Blue plus sign under "Translate" (as shown on attachment: Language
Tab translation.jpg)

B) Use the translation editor to translate your post/page. I noticed you have Visual
builder enabled, so you can check this video to actually see how to do it:
hidden link (it's already fast-forwarded to the minute
you need to watch from) and once you finish translating everything you can save
and publish the post/page.

2.2) The second path: Translation without the translation editor

A) to deactivate the translation editor you need to go to WPML > Settings > How to
translate posts and pages > Check "Create translations manually"

B) Go to the desired page/post then search for the "Language" tab
and click on the Blue plus sign under "Translate" (as shown on attachment: Language
Tab translation.jpg)

c) Translate your content. To keep the same format as the original language, you can
click "Copy content from [Language]" and then translate from there.(as shown on
attachment: "copy content from other language.jpg") then publish or
update the post/page.

I hope i was clear enough for you. if you feel wasn't thorough or clear enough. then let me know and i'll find another way to explain it to you. my mission is to help you understand WPML.

October 15, 2018 at 3:13 pm #2818058

doruR

Hi, Alexandro! Thanks for your reply, it was helpful. I've already created a translate for a page, but I can't preview it. I don't want a language switch or something like that because we don't want the users to know the site is being translated. Any ideas on the preview? Also, if a block looks good in romanian, but there are some tweaks to be made on the english site (lets say smaller paddings), how can I do that?

October 15, 2018 at 4:28 pm #2818265

Alejandro
Supporter

In this case we also have 2 paths that you can follow:

1) Hide the language from everybody (with exceptions): if you find it suitable, you can hide the language. then translate the entire content and enable it again. this is useful when you're starting out with a new language.

If you want to follow this path then:

A) Go to WPML > Languages > Hide languages and select the language you want to hide.
B) Go to Users > Your Profile > Hidden Languages and check the option "Display hidden languages", this way only you will be able to access that language's part of your site.
C) Translate and publish everything as before.

2) Hide the post/page until ready:
This is perfect when you're creating new posts/pages but you don't want users to know about them yet.

Follow one of the paths provided in the previous answer but instead of clicking the Publish or update button, you can just click on "Save Draft" or even better yet you can save its visibility as "Private".

A) This is pretty straightforward if you're not using the translation editor. you just create the translation following step 2.2) of the previous answer but instead of publishing it by clicking the blue publish/update button, you just click the "Save draft" or set the visibility as "Private (Attachment: "publish options.jpg" ) . that way you'll save your progress but have it private until you feel it's ready to be published.
You can read this WordPress article if you want to find out more about the visibility settings: https://codex.wordpress.org/Content_Visibility

B) If you have chosen to use the Translation Editor, then you'll find under each field a small checkbox "Translation is complete". The post/page will not be published until all of those checkboxes are selected.

Hope it helps, don't hesitate to contact us if you need further help.

October 15, 2018 at 8:03 pm #2818714

doruR

Hi, I think a didn't offer a good explanation. Here's my flow:

1. I have an existing page built with visual composer.
2. When editing this page, I click on the "+" button next to "English" to add a translation (step2.png)
3. I fill out all the text boxes (step3.png)
4. ISSUE: Where can I see a preview of the translated english page
5. ISSUE: If I want to edit the block containing the [form] shortcode just for the english version, how can I do that?

Thanks!

October 16, 2018 at 8:54 am #2820146

Alejandro
Supporter

Hello,

1) To see a preview of the translated page, you just need to find a link in your Translator editor with the text "View Page". That blue link is located right next to the name of the page you're translating (see Attachment: "view page from translation editor.jpg")

2) The [form] Shortcode comes from the Contact Form 7 plugin you have installed, so you must first create the contact form you want to use in the original language. then you need to clone it and use that "clone" as the translated post/page's Contact form. let's start.

- First of all head to WPML > Settings > Post Type Translation and make sure the field "Contact Forms (wpcf7_contact_form)" is set to "Not Translatable" (see attachment: "contact form 7 not translatable.jpg")

- Afterwards, you need to create the contact form for both the Default language (English) and the Secondary Language (Romanian).

I would strongly suggest you follow this Contact form 7 and WPML walkthrough which has very detailed instructions on how to do it: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/using-contact-form-7-with-wpml/ (for now, you can read until the end of the "Translating your form" section)

-Now you are ready to translate the form! Go back to the page you want to translate and enter the translation editor. if you have already created the "first" Romanian translation, you will find it under "Translations" then click "Show" and click the pencil icon next to the translation language name (see attachment: Find Translated pages.jpg")

-You'll find a field called "contact-form-7: id". in there you have to add the ID of the new page you just created for the Romanian translation.

You can find the contact form ID of the new contact form by clicking the "Contact" menu item in your WordPress admin panel, you will be shown a shortcode for all the contact form, and in that shortcode you'll find an ID parameter (see attachment: "Contact form 7 id.jpg").

Hope that helps.