Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 4 years, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
August 22, 2017 at 10:03 am #1348028

Alex Paulsen

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I'm categorizing a bunch of media files in the websites main language. When I switch language, the categories and the number of files included in them, show up as expected when filtering in the Media Library. But when I select one of them to be shown, they all come up empty. Nothing Found.

Is there a seting somewhere I'm not considering, or is it something else?

Best regards,

Alex

August 22, 2017 at 2:41 pm #1348361

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+01:00)

Hello.

I will be helping you with this issue.

You wrote: "..when I select one of them to be shown, they all come up empty. Nothing Found.."
I am a bit confused about the exact nature of the problem.

1. Clarification
1.1 Do you mean to say "..when I select one of the categories to show, there are no images that are listed"?

-- OR --

1.2 Do you mean to say "..when I select one of the images to edit from the listing, the image is not found"?

If you upload some screenshots illustrating the issue, this could help a lot.

2. Please provide more information about your installation
https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

August 22, 2017 at 8:32 pm #1348686

Alex Paulsen

Hello,

I think it is your first suggestion I am trying to say. 🙂

I've attached an image which should explain the issue more clearly. Bottom line, I am looking for a easier way to have work with a large number of media categories, when switching away from the websites primary language. But it is all explained in the picture.

wpml empty media cat.jpg
August 23, 2017 at 1:16 pm #1349172

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

Thank you for the image that illustrates the issue very clearly.

I have checked our internal database and also our compatibility list and can see that the plugin is marked as "compatible" with WPML. This would imply that as long as the categories are translated, the taxonomy assignments should be copied over to the translated images without issue.

I see that you also have come to this conclusion.

Normally, you can use the WPML Taxonomy Translation tool to translate the media categories and tags. There is also a hierarchy synchronisation tool so that the hierarchy is "copied" in the secondary languages.

Once the taxonomy is translated, new images uploaded in the default language and subsequently translated via WPML Media Translation, should then have the same taxonomy assignments as the default language.

The settings required to have this result follow:
a). Confirm that WPML > Translation management > Multilingual Content Setup the box for Copy taxonomy to translations is checked
b). WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual Content and set Custom Taxonomy Media Categories to Translate

With this in mind, there does not seem to be a "better way" than to do the exercise of translating the media taxonomy from the default language to the secondary languages.

August 24, 2017 at 7:23 am #1349701

Alex Paulsen

Hello,

Thanks for the instructions, this took me a long way. I had already checked out Taxonomy Translation once, but as it turns out, Media Categories was not set to Translate in the Multilingual Content Setup. Lesson learned. 🙂

I am now able to translate media categories easily, which is a big step in the right direction. The hierachy tool has me totally jumping for joy!! 🙂

A question has come up, though:

When translating media categories into other languages, they are empty when browsing the media library, as in fx. 'Scan-Line 30 ba (0)' - in the category list. Meaning that the content of the default language media category is not copied over. This can of course be solved by categorizing media again manually for each language, but is there a shortcut, that i am missing?

Thanks for great support.

August 24, 2017 at 5:41 pm #1350404

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

It may be that you need to "re-categorize" existing media manually and that the settings you updated will only affect the "new" translations you create.

Can you try the following actions:

1. Update the Original Media
1.1 Select a media that has not been categorised in the 2nd language correctly.
1,2 Now edit the original media of this tranlsation
1.3 Update the media (you dont have to make a change)
1.4 Check if the categories are copied over now.

2. Re-create translation
2.1 Select a media that has not been cateorised in 2nd langauge correctly
2.2 Permanently delete this media
2.3 Re-create the translation. You can do this through the single edit of the original media or by using WPML Media Translation. Existing media that has been duplicated won´t be "re-duplicated".

Please let me know if any of these options work for you.

The topic ‘[Closed] I categorize media in main language. But on other langs, categories are empty’ is closed to new replies.