This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 4, 2018 at 4:45 pm #2788329

jimmyT-7

Tell us what you are trying to do?
we are trying to translate our blog pages
Is there any documentation that you are following?
yes but it seems like old version
hidden link

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
jimmytran.net

October 4, 2018 at 9:10 pm #2788790

jimmyT-7

I still could not see the relate between the document & the options in my wordpress dashboard

October 4, 2018 at 9:11 pm #2788791

jimmyT-7

I already input all the plugins, what should i do next?

October 5, 2018 at 8:52 am #2789919

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

I can see that you already have installed all the plugins needed for the translation process of the site as you already confirmed and that's great.

IMPORTANT:

By looking at the server information your site is hosted on, I can see one thing that might cause future issues.

Your website’s WP Memory Limit (which is different than the PHP memory) is 40MB.

We will need to increase that as the minimum requirements for WPML are 128Mb:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

You can add this code to your wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

Paste it just before:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

These settings can be limited directly by your hosting provider, so I recommend you to contact and ask them to modify them directly. If you can get even higher values It would be great.

Now that we fixed this, let's get back to what we need to actually do in order to be able to translate the site.

STEP 1:

Our first step would be to find out how we can translate different parts of the content on the site (posts, pages etc.).

Here you can find documentation showing you how you can translate different kinds of content:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/#how-to-translate-different-kinds-of-content

STEP 2:

Our second step includes the accommodation with the String Translation plugin. This is the plugin that will help you translate strings like the word "by" that we can find on your blog page underneath each of the posts where is mentioned the author of that post.

Can you please let me know if you tried to go to WPML > String Translation and search for the words in the blog page that you want to translate?

Here is some very helpful documentation on how to use the String Translation plugin:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/

STEP 3

There are big chances that there might also be a few strings/words that you won't find under the String Translation section from the beginning. In order to scan the theme you are using (SmartTheme) for strings, you will need to follow the next steps:

1. Go to your WordPress backend
2. Go to WPML > Theme and plugins localization
3. Scroll to the "Strings in the themes" section, check the box next to your theme's name and click the blue "Scan selected themes for strings" button
4. After the scanning ends, go to WPML > String translation and search again for the words you mentioned, one by one.

This should help you find the strings/words that are still missing in the String Translation section.

Please let me know if this solved your issue or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your answer.

October 7, 2018 at 8:54 pm #2794326

jimmyT-7

Thanks Mihai for that part, However, i am a newbie and first time doing this. Even though i have read the post but i am still having a difficult time to set it up. Is there anyway that you can record a screencast of how to set up the whole entire thing? so i can watch the video and follow it easier.

October 8, 2018 at 12:26 am #2794420

jimmyT-7

Also, i want to know if WPML can help me to translate automatically or do i have to translate it manually.

October 8, 2018 at 7:13 am #2794877

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

I think you can follow this video tutorial here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpD03ArMChg

Also, regarding your second question, it really depends on what you want to translate. For example, if your theme comes with translation files, you can use those and theme strings will get automatically translated or you will be able to translate them manually if your theme doesn't come with any translations.

You will find in the video link above a test scenario with each of the 2 options.

Please let me know if this helped you accomplish what you needed.

October 8, 2018 at 4:30 pm #2796934

jimmyT-7

I would like to know if they can automatically translate the information in my blog post when i post new post or even old post. I want to translate the content in the blog.

October 8, 2018 at 9:20 pm #2797350

jimmyT-7

Also, the link that you provided me is with the old version. So the location of the features are not the same.

October 8, 2018 at 9:29 pm #2797370

jimmyT-7

Also, how can i translate the category on the side bar?
And i have receiving this bug. ( see image )

October 9, 2018 at 1:23 am #2797638

jimmyT-7

I received an email from your service about the advance translation editor. So how can i use them. Is it possible for you to record a screencast and share with me? that way, i can follow your guidance step by step.

October 10, 2018 at 6:48 am #2803125

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

You say "I would like to know if they can automatically translate the information in my blog post when i post new post or even old post. I want to translate the content in the blog.".

The answer to this is that WPML can't translate the content in your page automatically (like Google Translate would do for example - even if it won't do a perfect translation). What WPML empowers you to do is that it gives you the ability to translate each part of your content the way you want it manually.

What can be translated automatically is just the backend of WordPress whenever you change the language in the backend or the plugin/theme strings when you are using the .mo and .po files that came with the theme that you are using.

In order to translate the content in your blog, you will need to follow the steps here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/#how-to-translate-different-kinds-of-content

You say "Also, how can i translate the category on the side bar?"

Here is how you can translate a post category:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-post-categories-and-custom-taxonomies/

You say "I received an email from your service about the advance translation editor. So how can i use them."

Advanced translation editor would be very useful if you plan to either hire other people to translate your content or if you have other people that will help you to translate your content and you want to assign them specific parts of content.

Here you can find more about the Advanced Translation Editor:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/

You say "And i have receiving this bug. ( see image )"

Regarding this, may I kindly ask you to please open a new ticket for your additional question?

This will help other users with similar problems to find solutions when searching the forum.

Please let me know if these answers clear things up and help you understand how you can translate the content or if you still need help with this.

I will be waiting for your reply.

Kind regards,

Mihai