This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Riffaz 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Riffaz.

Author Posts
February 25, 2019 at 4:30 am

markD-33

Hi,

I currently have the following issue with most of the english pages of my website.

hidden link

I get this issue since I’ve installed WPML, but I can bypass the error doing some bizarre stuff in the CMS (like trying to access pages from different paths).

Can you please help,

Thanks!

Mark

February 25, 2019 at 4:57 am #3238007

Riffaz
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Colombo (GMT+05:30)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support.

Server internal error is something related your server/hosting.
Anyhow, could you please enable the WP Debug mode and check the issue before contacting the server support?
Follow the steps explained here : https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Let me know.

Regards,
Riffaz.

February 25, 2019 at 6:16 am #3238036

markD-33

Here's what the server/hosting had to say :

"It seems that currently one of your plugins causes your website to redirect to "en" and includes rules in it redirecting the domain to the en sub-folder which does not exist.

I strongly suggest the plugin which causes this:

Code:
buddypress-multilingual
wpml-media-translation
sitepress-multilingual-cms

Is one of the above ones. Having that in mind, I would suggest you consider disabling them and see which could be causing it."

February 25, 2019 at 6:22 am #3238061

markD-33

Can you please check how WPML is set in the CMS to make sure it isn't the issue? (The host seems to think it is the real issue here).

February 25, 2019 at 7:13 am #3238128

Riffaz
Supporter

I do not see any menu for English in your site: hidden link
How do you get the menus you are showing on the video and how did you create them?
It seems you are creating the menu links your self somewhere.
in case if you needed: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

It seems these links also manually linked somewhere: hidden link
Where and how?

I changed the language permalink structure. pages works fine and the footer language switcher goes to correct corresponded pages: hidden link but the links in the menu do not change.
If it is a standard menu the links there should automatically changed according to the permalink changes.

Let me know.

February 25, 2019 at 3:26 pm #3240660

markD-33

Hi Riffaz,

As long as I can't get a solution that's suited for my need, I am working on a test page. You can find it in the pages and the page is named "test".

The language switcher, even though it appears as a header element, is added in a custom location/custom WordPress element using a shortcode.

So it can't/must not be added to WP footer of header in WPML.

What code should I add in the menu element so that it dynamically changes to the appropriate language?

I've added a video to show you how I add the links to the custom footer and custom header :

hidden link

Is this how I should add the links or is there a better way to do it so that they change dynamically ?

Thanks!

Mark

February 26, 2019 at 2:27 pm #3245411

Riffaz
Supporter

Hi,

Thank you for the details.

Now, if you go to hidden link and if click on the English on the language switcher you will see that the page redirects to it's correct translation.

When you create menus just give the correct links.
you can get the correct link of translated page when you click on here : hidden link
You can check all the translated pages like that.
This is the only option w can suggest you for now.

You have to consider somethings regarding your site and selections.
You are using Thrive Architect compatibility list, however, it doesn't necessarily imply that it is not compatible, just that our team has not tested yet.
https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/

Normal procedure for such front end editor plugins:
Create a page/post/product using the Architect plugin
Translate it using the duplicate option: when editing the original you will see on the right panel a checkbox "duplicate". Select it and create the duplicate/translation.
Edit the duplicate. Using the backend editor set it to translate independently. Then use the front end editor to edit the content.

Create a new page/post/product using the Architect plugin in the default language
Create a new page/post/product using the Architect plugin in the secondary language
Set the secondary language page as a translation of the default language page

Also, you can ask the Thrive Architect support if they have any solution and send them this : https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/

Regards,