Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 37 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by francescoA-4 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Beda.

Author Posts
March 7, 2015 at 7:52 pm #573024

francescoA-4

Hi.
After the discussion in this thread I basically re-installed WPML CMS and Addons on a new test site.

I really do not know why, but everything seems working fine now, even if I'm still having a Theme configuration issue when activating WPML, but I've asked Theme Fusion support for this.

What I'd like you to help me with is:

I had WPML installed on my site like 6 moths ago, and then, since I was not using it, and it was causing a media duplication issue, I removed it.

I had done some tests on that time, it means I've translated some posts and pages. Then I deleted them.

Now, on this new installation, it seems that WPML overwrites the italian version, with the old translation I did at that time. (And deleted).
You can see in attached the difference for the same post in the original version (img 5) and the same post on the test site, with WPML activated. (img 6)

It also detect a translation, since for those previously translated posts (and deleted) I only have the option to manage translation, and not to create a new one. (Img 1)

When I click on it, it says that post is no more available.
(img 3)

It seems that WPML have stored some datas... which I've deleted and now I'm not able to start a new translation.

How can I proceed in order to avoid that overwriting and being able to start post translation from zero?

Thanks

Francesco

March 8, 2015 at 5:42 pm #573222

Beda
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Italian (Italiano )

Hello Francesco

Thanks for the Debug Infos

Could you try to update to WordPress 4.1?

Could you specify to which discussion you refer regarding this?:
"After the discussion in this thread I basically re-installed WPML CMS and Addons on a new test site."

I understand you have installed a new test Site (different URL and Database) and have newly installed WPML

Since this is a new site, WPML can't know what you have previously translated and wouldn't take over any translations, unless you imported the Database to the new site.

==> "I had done some tests on that time, it means I've translated some posts and pages. Then I deleted them.

Now, on this new installation, it seems that WPML overwrites the italian version, with the old translation I did at that time. (And deleted)."

It seems you did not delete the translations, and perhaps imported the database to your new site?

I would need more infos on your exact workflow you followed to create the new site, and also how you deleted the old posts.

If you created a fully new website and used a genuine Database, there shouldn't be any left over translations, as they simply aren't present int the new database.

Please could you specify how you proceeded on your new install, if you imported anything form the old install, and how you deleted your Posts in the old install?

Thank you

March 9, 2015 at 10:02 am #573468

francescoA-4

Hi Beda.

I'm updated to 4.1

About discussion, I'm sorry I forgot to place the link: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/just-activated-wpml-on-my-blog-running-avada-heres-a-bunch-of-issues-i-got/

But finally it seems that real problem came out: I've duplicated my site using DUPLICATOR, which basically copies both site and database. In this case a database where I still have some files that were part of a previous installation of WPML.

I think that there we have the cause of both theme options and post translation issues.

Now the question is:

Since I need to activate WPML on my live site, I need before to clean the DB of the old WPML tabs I've, in order to avoid such issues to happen, right?

Which tabs should I delete?

As far as I can see, I've different tabs which seems to be created by WPML.

Is there a procedure to follow?

Thanks,

Francesco

March 9, 2015 at 12:44 pm #573620

Beda
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Italian (Italiano )

Hello Francesco

If I understand it correctly, you don't need/want ANY translated content on your new site?

This means, you only want to keep your original content, but you don't need any translations, you will create them all from scratch?

In this case, you can just head to your Database and delete all Database Tables which begin with icl_

NOTE:
1. This will delete EVERY content you created with WPML

2. If you i.e. have still some translations (Posts, Pages, Media) in your Dashboard, you should FIRST delete them via the Dashboard
== >make sure in this case, that you have UNSELECTED the below listed options in
WPML > Translation Management > Multilingual Content Setup > Posts and pages synchronization:
- When deleting a post, delete translations as well
- When deleting a taxonomy (category, tag or custom), delete translations as well
==> You will need to delete the content for each language individually in your dashboard

Then, you can go ahead, and deactivate the WPML plugin, delete it in the FTP Folders, and delete the Database Tables

You would then need to fully re-install WPML

If you want to delete only single entries in the Database, you can follow this DOC to find the correct table where to search for the entries:
http://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/

Please in any case perform a full backup of the database before you proceed!

Please let me know if you try to achieve a different solution then above listed possibilities.

Thank you

March 9, 2015 at 12:53 pm #573634

francescoA-4

Hi Beda,

That's exactly what I need to do.

In this moment I've two sites.

One is live, and does not have WPML installed, and I already delated al translation from it. But it does have some tabs in its database, which are related to a previous installation of WPML:

The second one is a copy of the firs, which I'm using as test environment. On this I've WPML installed, and I'm facing the reported issues, since the new installation is basically using the old tabs.

I'm now going to test your suggestion on test site, see if I can delete everything, including database, get back on "ground zero", than reactivate WPML and see if everything works well.

If it does, I'll delete tables on live site database and instal WPML.

Let's see if this work.

Gonna let you know.

Thanks.

Francesco

March 9, 2015 at 1:34 pm #573689

francescoA-4

Hi Beda,

I did the procedure, it worked.
I'm now basically back to zero.

I'm now having a little issue... I'm not able to activate italian in the languages.
Basically all languages are available...only Italian is not. For this reason all posts are there, but not active.

Have a look on screenshot... how can I proceed?

I also would like to know how can I leave backend in english, since once WPML has been installed, some plugins menus are now in italian... which I'm not used to have there.

Thanks a lot.

Francesco

March 9, 2015 at 2:25 pm #573747

francescoA-4

Hi Beda,

I also noticed that themes and plugin localization gives me an empty page.

March 9, 2015 at 2:34 pm #573754

francescoA-4

Hi, about backend language I solved it... sorry for that.

March 9, 2015 at 5:23 pm #573869

Beda
Supporter

Hello Francesco

I see some issues where solved.

I understand by now only this issue remains?
"themes and plugin localization gives me an empty page"

Please could you enable the WP Debug Mode in your wp-config.php file and then report me which errors display on the screen if you load WPML > Theme and Plugin Localization?

Thank you

March 9, 2015 at 5:41 pm #573883

francescoA-4

HI.
I have two issues.
First, I cannot select italian as language, see screenshot in previous email.
Second, Theme and Plugin localization.

I'm sorry but I do not know hot to activate WP debug mode, how does it work?
Thanks,

Francesco

March 9, 2015 at 6:39 pm #573950

Beda
Supporter

Hello Francesco

WordPress includes a debug mode which helps reveal PHP problems.

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true );>/code>

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It's the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.
If you open wp-config.php and that define statement is not there, you can add it right before this line:
[php]/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Please note that you’ll see everything, not only related to WPML.
This will most likely include messages from other plugins, your theme and sometimes even WordPress core. The messages appear all over the place.
Sometimes they appear right on top, but they can also appear in the middle of the page.

About the issue not being able to select the Default language:
I will surely need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
- preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible -
in order to be of better help.

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

==> Please backup your database and website <==

Thank you

March 10, 2015 at 2:20 pm #574628

Beda
Supporter

Ciao Francesco

You did not make any mistakes in the wp-config.php

Simply, probably there are no errors to show 🙂

To solve the problem with the language, you could do this:

1. Make a backup of the database
2. Do the step shown in the screenshot (Repopulate the languages in the database)

This should at least solve the problem with the language.
Then, if the problem of the "Theme and Plugins Localization" page persists, we will dig deeper into it.

If it persists, please follow as mentioned below:
1. Try with Default WP Theme Twenty fourteen, and NO additional Plugins but WPML + AddOns
2. Try to reinstall WPML like this:

==>Backup your website and database<==
-Deactivate/Delete the "installer" plugin (if you have it, not your case here).
-Deactivate all WPML plugins.
-Login via FTP to your wp-content/plugins/ folder.
-Delete all WPML folders.
-Go to http://wpml.org/my-account/downloads/ and download the latest WPML Multilingual CMS Plugin, then extract it.
-Upload the plugin via FTP to wp-content/plugins/ folder.
(alternatively you could upload the .zip folder using Dashboard > Plugins > new > upload)
-Activate the WPML plugin via WP Dashboard > plugins
-Complete the setup, if needed
-Register WPML for your site (at the end of setup, clic on "generate key" button)
-Navigate to Dashboard > Plugins and locate WPML Multilingual CMS
-Clic on the blue link that says "Registered"
-Download and activate all needed WPML AdOn Plugins

This should not generate any problems.

In case you want to register WPML for your site manually please make sure to enter the naked URL of your site in wpml.org (something like hidden link)

If then the issue still persist, we will need to involve the 2nd Tier Support into this.

Please don't hesitate to inform me about the results

Thank you

March 10, 2015 at 2:23 pm #574633

francescoA-4

Hi Beda,

Waiting for your reply, since I received updates notification, I've installed last version of plugins.

It did not change anything, still not able to select Italian as language and still have a white page under theme and plugin localization.

Thanks for your time,

Ciao

Francesco

March 10, 2015 at 2:37 pm #574647

francescoA-4

Hi Beda,

Ok I'm gonna do that.... but I did not understand what you mean with:
" 2. Do the step shown in the screenshot (Repopulate the languages in the database)"

I can't see any screenshot attached.... What should I exactly do??

Thanks,

Francesco

March 10, 2015 at 2:41 pm #574653

Beda
Supporter

Hello Francesco

I apologize, here the screenshot
Just put the hook and clic on the button

==> don't forget the Database backup

Thank you