Please make sure to update to WPML to the latest and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 37 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by francescoA-4 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Beda.

Author Posts
March 10, 2015 at 2:55 pm #574674

francescoA-4

Hi,

I did the db backup.

But where do I find that hook?? Is it a WPML option?

March 10, 2015 at 2:56 pm #574681

Beda
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Italian (Italiano )

Hello Francesco

You would need to head to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting

There you will find the page I sent you a screenshot of.

Thank you

March 10, 2015 at 2:57 pm #574682

francescoA-4

Ok, found it.
Sorry for that.

March 10, 2015 at 3:00 pm #574685

francescoA-4

Hi.
I did as you suggested, but still cannot select italian as language.
I can see it, but I cannot select it. See screenshot.

March 10, 2015 at 3:20 pm #574709

francescoA-4

Hi Beda.

Now seems that everythig works. You did it?

March 10, 2015 at 3:21 pm #574710

Beda
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Italian (Italiano )

Ciao Francesco

I have activated Italian via the database, it is now selected as your Default Language and active.

Does the other issue persist?

Do you have (in case it persist) followed the suggested steps above?

Thank you

March 10, 2015 at 3:30 pm #574730

francescoA-4

Hi Beda, I can see it now, and everything seems to be working properly. Also theme localization.

But I still have two questions.

1st: I can see that theme options are switched.

hidden link has now the theme options I always had on my site
hidden link has default theme options.

If you look into theme options with italian language selected, you can see that everything is gone, including Custom CSS and tracking codes.

Is there a way to prevent this from happen? Since my live site is in Italian, if I activate WPML there, it will basically bring my live site back to default theme option, and this might be a problem.

2nd: The issue I had about the italian language to be not active whas due to what? how can I prevent it from happen?
As you can see I did this installation on a test site in order to prevent my live site to face problem if I activate WPML.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,

Francesco

March 10, 2015 at 3:42 pm #574754

francescoA-4

Hi Beda,
I also noticed that all media has been duplicated.
They appear to be only in italian, not translated, but I have two copies of them.
See screenshot.

Is this normal?

March 10, 2015 at 5:04 pm #574888

Beda
Supporter

Hello Francesco

It seems to me the Images where not fully deleted before you fully reinstalled the WPML Media Plugin

If you switch to English, you see only one image, and also you don't have WPML Media installed, therefore those image can't be generated by WPML (Image Translation)
Once the troubleshoot steps in WPML > Support > Troubleshoot where taken, the doubled images also appeared in the English Language.

Did you have installed WPML Media previously and did perhaps neglect to delete the Images (their translations)?

About the Theme Options:
Usually you save them in your default language only, and translate them to you site's default language and secondary language in WPML String Translation
(The strings need to be in english either way, also if your site's default language isn't english)

Usually you don't need to save the Theme options in all languages, unless the theme requires this.
For this, you would need to contact the Theme Author.

I can see now that all your theme options are in the WPML String Translation, but not yet translated.
Translating them usually applies them also for the Translation of your Website.

Why the issue with the "greyed out" language happened can have different causes, possibly it was due to the install of WPML and a broken connection to the database during this process.

I must ask you:
Since this is a test site, you will now repeat the exact steps on the live site, or do you have never had installed WPML on the alive site and is it a first time install there?
Is the life site a exact duplicate of this test site?

If it's a duplicate, you will most probably find the same issues.

I suggest, if it's a duplicate, that you surely perform a full database and website backup before you proceed.

Perhaps, if it's a duplicate of another previously used Website, you first make sure that you have exactly what you want in that duplication.

Usually, If you duplicate a website with Duplicator Plugin, you won't encounter any issues

If your live site is complete different site, where WPML never was active and no information of WPML is stored, you can just go ahead and install WPML there.
No issues should be generated by this.

Please let me know if you need further infos about this

Thank you

March 10, 2015 at 6:24 pm #574996

francescoA-4

Hi Beda,

First, thanks a lot for your disposability; it seems we're getting there.

Answering to your questions one by one:

"It seems to me the Images where not fully deleted before you fully reinstalled the WPML Media Plugin"
<< I had a previous installation of WPML on my live site back in september. It was generating ghost images, duplicated media etc, so I fully removed the plugin. (But did not delate database, which I did under your suggestion a couple of days ago on test site, which is a copy of live site created via Duplicator). It cab be that some images of that time (september) has not been deleted, but actually I also see that last uploaded images has been duplicated, and this happened now. So I think that it has been done by WPML media.

"If you switch to English, you see only one image..."
<< The image you see in english has been uploaded by me today, as test to see if media uploading was working properly.

"...and also you don't have WPML Media installed, therefore those image can't be generated by WPML (Image Translation)"
<< Media translation is installed and was active, I've deactivated it in order to see if duplicated image does disappear and also to prevent thousand of ghost images to be created. But it was active at that time.

Actually, since my blog does not use tons of images, I'm considering the option not to use Media Translation, since I'm seeing that a lot of users are having troubles with this plug-in.
If I do so, and let's say I upload an image to a translation (english) of an Italian post, how will the url of the image appear? Will it have /en or not?

"About the Theme Options:
Usually you save them in your default language only, and translate them to you site's default language and secondary language in WPML String Translation
(The strings need to be in english either way, also if your site's default language isn't english)"

>> This part is really confusing for me.
Let's start clarifying what i intend for Theme Options:

Theme options on Avada are all the options you can play around in order to personalize they way your theme looks like, including:

- Logo positioning,
- Header,
- Search button location,
- Sidebar width
- Footer space area,
- Space between lines in text,
- Social media icon colors,
- Menu Items padding ,

Now you can see that all this options are different between the two languages I've active now and, most of all, the correct settings are applied to the new language (english) and not to the main language (italian).

This is very annoying, since if I activate WPML on my live site, I basically will loose all my configurations.
Of course I can manage that, it's just a matter of playing around with Theme Options, but I really would like to understand how it works and which is the correct procedure to avoid this from happening.

Another point is that I really cannot understand in which way string translation will help me.
My problem is not to have some text on the site appearing in english, but is to find a way to have the same customization (intended as above) for both languages or at least not to have them switched.

Now, I'm I missing some of the features of string translation? Or did I not understand what string translation is about?

As far as I can understand, it is used to make sure that all text within theme and plugin are translated.
Does it actually manage also things like "logo padding" or "number of column in footer area"?

"Why the issue with the "greyed out" language happened can have different causes, possibly it was due to the install of WPML and a broken connection to the database during this process."
<< OK, it can be, since I had to manually delete all the database strings of a previous installation of WPML.

"I must ask you:
Since this is a test site, you will now repeat the exact steps on the live site, or do you have never had installed WPML on the alive site and is it a first time install there?
Is the life site a exact duplicate of this test site?"

<< Yes, the site we're now looking to is an exactly copy of my live site, done using Duplicator.
And yes, my intention is, once everything is clear, to do the same steps on live site.

0. Back-up my live site and database
1. Manually remove from database all strings belonging to the previous installation of WPML
2. Activate WPML
3. (Pray to have everything working fine…. :))

"Perhaps, if it's a duplicate of another previously used Website, you first make sure that you have exactly what you want in that duplication."
<< I did not get this… what do you mean with you first make sure that you have exactly what you want in that duplication.?

May I ask you how you managed to manually activate the language on database?

Because as you said, following the same steps on live site, it's probably that I'll have the same problem… but beeing my site a blog, I really cannot / do not want to stay hrs of line waiting for you guys to fix the problem.

So, now that we know which kind of problem we're supposed to face, maybe we can be in somehow prepared.

Thanks again for your disposability,

Ciao

Francesco

March 11, 2015 at 1:38 pm #575816

Beda
Supporter

Hello Francesco

This issue:
"I had a previous installation of WPML on my live site back in september. It was generating ghost images, duplicated media etc, so I fully removed the plugin."
==> should have been solved by us, running a special program in your installation.
Removing the Plugin, did not solve the issue.
Unfortunately, since the plugin has been removed and re-installed, the only solution here is to delete the images manually.

I apologize the inconvenience this may cause.

==> The BUG's are fixed now in the media plugin, therefore it will not happen again.

If it is still duplicating images in the SAME language, during WPML Media active, this would be because of wrong language information.
We would need to analyze that closer.

About the theme options:

Usually you set them in your default language and they automatically apply throughout your entire site (also secondary languages)

Strings in theme options (normally tag line, header text, site description, footer text, etc) goes to String translation and can be translated there to your secondary languages.
Sometimes Themes allow you to either:
- Have settings for EACH language
- OR "Translate" as example CSS Styles as strings, therefore, also in WPML > String Translation.
==> This should be specified by the Theme's Support

About the Duplicator file:
Ignore tho my question if this test site was a exact same duplicate of the live site wehre you are going to make the changes after on the test site it's working.

==> You will encounter the same issues.

I understand, on the live site WPML WAS installed, but REMOVED.

Now, IF you really want to begin from THE VERY BEGIN, means recreate all translations etc, you need to carefully delete ALL contents generated with WPML on that live site first, then delete ALL TABLES in your database that begin with icl_

Then you can reinstall WPML

Keep in mind you ned to delete ALL Translated content (also if you had theme options) first.

Keep only what is in your site's default language.

I think, looking at the amount of work this already implements, that a start over is simpler.
I mean a full start over, wehre you also reinstall WordPress and recreate all your content.

But this of course depends much on the amount of original content you already have.

The problem is you will have nested content in your database (i.e. coming from the image duplication issue) where the danger is great that you miss to delete something.

A clean, new install would solve all issues at once.

But of course, this is your decision.
(And I also fully understand if you don't agree with me)

Please proceed carefully, better re-test on a test site the exact process.
Keep enough Database backups handy.

Please let me know if I can help you furthermore, and also don't hesitate to open a ticket if you find problems on your live site.

Actually I even suggest you to open a new ticket (you can assign to me) so we can look at the situation first, with the goal to start over with WPML in a clean way on your live site.

Thank you

March 11, 2015 at 2:54 pm #575936

francescoA-4

Hi Beda!
Thanks for yours exhaustive answers!

Unfortunately at that time, when I got image duplications problems, I did not get in contact with you guys. Since I was not using the plugin, I simply deleted all images and files, thinking it was enough.
Lesson learned.

About theme options, I'm gonna get in contact with Theme Fusion guys to see if they've an answer.
I'm starting to think that it's due to the fact that english is default language for AVADA, even if form it's not. So I've to figure out a way to select Italian as my default theme language BEFORE to install WPML. I'll see this.

About recreating a new site from zero, I've never thought about that.
It does not seem so easy, and as far as I can understand I'd have to create it on a test site, then using duplicator overwriting existing content. Let's say it scares me a bit; also in relation to all statistics, risk of duplicated url, sitemaps etc...
Basically I think I'm not enough prepared to do that.

What I'm thinking now is that, on this last test installation we made together, we had basically 3 issues:

- Italian language not beeing selectable,
- Media duplication (2x same language)
- Theme options copied from It to En

Let's say that I can manage to reset all theme option manually, and that I can manually delete duplicated media.
In this case two of three issues will be fixed within minutes without creating too much front-end problems.

The only thing I'll not able to fix will be database connection for that language that I cannot select. This is something you did.
But if you share with me how, I can try to do it by myself and see If I can manage to leave at least front-end in order and than proceed to start site translation.

What I'll do is:

0. Copy my live site using duplicator and uploading on test environment;
1. Verify if everything which belongs to WPML has ben correctly removed;
2. Clear database wit _icl
3. Upload WPML
4. Fix database connection (as per your indication)
5. Copy theme option from english to italian,
6. Activate WPML Addons, including Media translation
7. Manually deleted duplicate medias.

If I'll be able to do that without causing too much troubles to front-end and if I do not face news issues, I'll than proceed to do the same on live site.

What do you think?

Can you tell me hot to fix database connection with italian?

I'll be happy to keep in touch with you during this process. How can I eventually create a new thread and assign it to you?

Thanks again,

Ciao
Francesco

March 11, 2015 at 3:44 pm #576022

Beda
Supporter

Hello Francesco

Here the instructions for enabling Italian in case it gets greyed out again:

1. In the database locate icl_languages
2. Locate the Italian language
3. Check the values are "1" for main and active column
4. If not, edit the row, and change the value accordingly

Your process suggested should work.

Please note :

icl_ tables have to be Deleted, completely removed, not emptied or truncated.

Please make you the favor and backup everything, better many times then only once 🙂

Thank you

March 12, 2015 at 9:36 am #576608

francescoA-4

Hahaha. Make you the favour is original.
Thanks for your support and for screenshot.

I'm now trying to do all the process.

Keep you informed.
Thank you very much.

Francesco

March 12, 2015 at 2:45 pm #576977

Minesh
Supporter

Beda is on leave today, will be back on Sunday. This is Minesh here and I will take care of your issue. Hope this is OK.

Kindly update us with the results.