Please make sure to update to WPML 4.3.6 and check our list of Known Issues before reporting

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 37 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by francescoA-4 4 years, 11 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Beda.

Author Posts
March 13, 2015 at 11:32 am #577649

francescoA-4

Hi minesh.s,

Everything has worked fine so far.

I did another test on test site, and the solutions suggested by Beda has worked well.

I'm now waiting night hours to run it on live site.

Hope it also works well.

Thanks,

Francesco

March 14, 2015 at 1:46 pm #578373

francescoA-4

Hi Beda!

Hope you got some nice vacations.

I finally got WPML working on my live site.

I also found out how to manage theme options in Avada.

I do not know why, but once activated WPML brings italian theme options to english theme option, even if my default language on WP is Italian.
(Avada offers the possibility to manage theme separately.)

All I had to do was to backup english option and upload them on italian using theme option panel, it takes like 10 sec to run...

I also had to activate italian as language on my db, but everything has worked fine.

As far as I can see, it seems that my backend became way much slower once WPML has been activated. Note that I've only uploaded CMS, no other plugin has been activated so far.

Should I open a new ticket to get you have a look on it?
If yes, how do I assign it to you?

Thanks for your time,

Ciao
Francesco

March 15, 2015 at 2:11 pm #578585

Beda
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Italian (Italiano )

Hello Francesco

Thats great!
I am happy it worked flawlessly 🙂

Now - About the speed issue:

1. WPML Multilingual CMS does increase a bit the Query Number, but actually it should not decrease massively the page's speed.

2. The next big Update of WPML (WPML 3.2) will contain major speed improvements

3. If you experience issues with page speed, it is correct assuming that it should be handled in a new ticket.
Before, please refer to this Ticket:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/since-the-update-in-januari-i-think-the-website-drasticly-slowed-down/

There some of the major steps are described and also some issues currently present in WPML

If you take all those steps, and still experience major speed issues, you could open a new ticket with the issue and we would handle from there.

Thank you for your collaboration.

March 26, 2015 at 3:44 pm #588665

francescoA-4

Hi Beda!
Hope you're doing well.

I've been playing around with translation in this last days.

I still can notice a relevant load time in both my front-end and back-end, but decided to handle this in one time once translation is completed.

By the way, I've a new issue now, related with MEDIA TRANSLATION.

Since on my blog I use to have featured-images with text, I need to upload different featured image for original post (italian) and translated post (english).

How do I do that?

Each time I try to set a new featured image, and then hit save draft, it keeps back the original featured image.
If I try to disable "duplicate featured image" and "duplicate image from original" via post editor and then hit save draft, it loads the page with this option enabled.

What I basically need is MEDIA TRANSLATION not to duplicate any image, and let me upload separate images for Italian and English.

Originally I've decided NOT TO USE MEDIA TRANSLATION, but I've been forced to activate it because I had an issue that, when uploading and image, it was not showing in media gallery.

I've read several support ticket and found out that the only way to have this solved was to upload MEDIA TRANSLATION.

But now I've this issue related to featured images.

What can I do?

I repeat, I do not want media translation to duplicate any image.

Thanks,

Francesco

March 26, 2015 at 3:55 pm #588679

francescoA-4

HI Beda,

In the meanwhile I've noticed that if I start from zero with a post that was not translated when I activated MEDIA TRANSLATION, everything works fine.

So the problem is only in the posts I've already translated.

The procedure I followed when translating, was:

- DUPLICATE POST FROM ITALIAN TO ENGLSH
- OPEN TRANSLATED POST, SET IT TO DRAFT
- MODIFY TEXT

Now that post are ready, I need to set a new featured image, and here is where the problem mentioned above shows up.
What can I do in order to set the properly featured image?

Thanks,
Francesco

March 27, 2015 at 11:27 am #589260

francescoA-4

Hi Beda,

Please notice that the procedure I'm following to translate posts from italian to english is:

- DUPLICATE POST FROM ITALIAN TO ENGLSH
- OPEN TRANSLATED POST, HIT TRANSLATE INDIPENDENTLY AND SET IT TO DRAFT
- MODIFY TEXT, IMAGES, SEO, LINK ETC
- MODIFY FEATURED IMAGE

And is on the last step I have the problem, since I cannot modify featured image.

Thanks,

Francesco

March 29, 2015 at 12:41 pm #589997

Beda
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Italian (Italiano )

Hello Francesco

I deeply apologize the late answer.

In order to troubleshoot this in the correct manner and keep this thread "sticky" on the original issue, i would need to ask you to open a new ticket with the previously mentioned issue(s).

This helps not only supporters to focus on one issue at once, but also enables other users to find solutions to their questions faster.

Please, may I ask you to open a new ticket with the new matter?
https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/

If this very Ticket here is so far "solved", could you perhaps confirm that the initial issue is solved, so we can move this ticket to the "Solved" tickets?

Thank you very much for your understanding

April 1, 2015 at 9:57 pm #592503

francescoA-4

Hi.
I've managed it.
Thanks for your time.
Francesco