Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marcelaB-4 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
November 15, 2021 at 4:29 pm #9999343

marcelaB-4

I am using WP Sitemap page plugin to create Sitemap but it only creates html version, not wpml. When I submit it to google, it reports same pages in different languages as duplicates and does not index them, even though canonical url is set to the url of that page.

What is the recommended xml sitemap plugin for WP that I can use that will enable Google to index pages in multiple languages.

Thanks alot for your guidance.

November 16, 2021 at 9:17 am #10003601

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi there.

Things are working a little differently with WPML so I can confirm that what you are experiencing is the expected behavior.

WPML puts in "hreflang" tags into each page automatically so a new sitemap link for each language is not needed. That is why you don't have the translated links in the sitemap.

I will leave you a couple of URLs that you can take a look at below:

- https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/optimize-multilingual-websites-using-rank-math-and-wpml/#rank-math-sitemaps-and-wpml

- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/sitemap-shows-links-to-content-in-two-languages/

- https://wpml.org/forums/topic/multilingual-sitemap/

- hidden link

I hope that you will find all the information above helpful.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

November 16, 2021 at 9:56 am #10004195

marcelaB-4

Mihai,

The sitemap is translated without a problem. Each language has its own sitemap in html. But this plugin does not create xml sitemap.

My question is what xml sitemap plugin that is compatible with WPML can i use?

It should not be an expected behaviour that google thinks different languages are 'duplicate pages'. Each language should have a chance to rank in its own respected country. Hreflang reference is fine but I also want to be able to submit xml sitemap to GSC.

Marcela

November 17, 2021 at 1:05 am #10010191

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi Marcela.

You can try the recommended plugins on the list in the URL below (I would go with the first one first):
https://wpml.org/plugin/?wpv_view_count=120064&wpv-plugin-functionality=0&wpv_post_search=xml+sitemap&wpv-wpcf-recommendation-flag=&wpv_filter_submit=Search

That should help.

Please let me know how that goes.

Mihai

November 17, 2021 at 10:16 am #10012957

marcelaB-4

Hi Mihai,

Thanks for the list. The plugin you recommend Google XML Sitemaps has a disclaimer, that:

"Please note that the Google XML Sitemaps plugin works with WPML only if the language URL format is set to A different domain per language"

I use extention /?lang=en and so on so don't have different domain per language.

It does not seem to be a suitable plugin for my website. You can check nayavita.com - the language is selected via widget in the header and url is different per language, but domain stays.

Marcela

November 17, 2021 at 9:53 pm #10018357

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi there, Marcela.

That is correct, only by using that option the plugin can include the translated versions of the URLs.

Unfortunately, outside the plugins in that list that are part of our official WPML-compatible plugins repository, I can't recommend anything else at this point.

Hreflang does the job and Google can understand what language is that content in (please take a look here: hidden link).

Sitemaps are just another option of telling Google that a page is a translated version of the original, in a specific language, but we are using the HTML option (the first one presented in the URL that I shared above).

I hope that you will find this information helpful.

Kind regards,
Mihai

November 22, 2021 at 8:15 pm #10046871

marcelaB-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!