This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The user has two languages and would like to have only the other language in the language selector, and not use a dropdown. Solution: You can configure your language switcher to do so. Relevant Documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by erezA-4 1 week, 4 days ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
October 7, 2019 at 3:06 pm #4708741

erezA-4

Basically I need it to say SPANISH in the menu while on the english site and English while on the spanish site.

In addition, right now WPML is using a drop down in my menu. I would not like for it to function in this way.

Lastly, WPML created a black gap between my menu and the slider. See image attached. Please advise.

Thanks,
Erez

October 7, 2019 at 3:19 pm #4708839

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

You have opened a chat and were disconnected before I could submit my reply.

Please check our documentation about language switcher, you can choose to use language name in the current language, or native language name, you can also choose to use a dropdown or a list.

For the gap before the slider, please create a new ticket to handle it, for support rules we are able to handle only one issue at the time. This helps us to bring you a better service and also helps other users to find all the information here exposed.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

October 7, 2019 at 4:47 pm #4709521

erezA-4

Hi Jammal, Sorry, I did not see a chat window open...

Please check our documentation about language switcher, you can choose to use language name in the current language, or native language name, you can also choose to use a dropdown or a list.

I looked at the documentation, but it does not clearly explain the setting that I am looking or. Like I said. I need it to say direct to the spanish page from the english site and vice versa with no drop down. The drop down only leads to confusion, especially on mobile version. please advise.

October 7, 2019 at 5:03 pm #4709563

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

My apologies, I forgot to add the documentation article, please check the image attached too.
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-switcher-options/

If this did not help, please explain again your needs, I might have misunderstood.

All the best,
Jamal

October 7, 2019 at 5:45 pm #4709767

erezA-4

Ok, the documentation does not explain what i need to do.

when you go to hidden link

the default langauage of the site is English.

The language switcher says ENGLISH. I need it to say "ESPANOL"

Once you click on ESPANOL. hidden link loads. I need the language switcher to say ENGLISH... so users can toggle back and forth easily.

October 7, 2019 at 5:54 pm #4709899

erezA-4

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!