This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 10.40 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: I need to change default site language from english to german Solution: When you change default language (WPML -> languages), whichever language was in your front-end homepage (for example English), it will be automatically replaced with another language (for example German), and all the menus should act accordingly. WPML will manage all of this.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by vasileiosT-3 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
August 30, 2019 at 8:18 am #4485255

vasileiosT-3

I am trying to: change default language

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:hidden link

The problem is that when i change the language the language selector disapears.
Also the links to the English version after the change link to German

Please advice

August 30, 2019 at 9:59 am #4486167

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

When you change default language (WPML -> languages), whichever language was in your front-end homepage (for example English), it will be automatically replaced with another language (for example German), and all the menus should act accordingly. WPML will manage all of this.

Can you tell me what exactly is the issue, so that I can have a look?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 30, 2019 at 10:04 am #4486227

vasileiosT-3

1.The issue is that the language selector dissapears after i change the default language.
2.The WPML backend changes too to German (i need that to be in English)

August 30, 2019 at 10:32 am #4486433

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

1) Once you switch default language and go to WPML -> languages in order to reassign that language switcher back, does it work properly? Perhaps this is all that needs to be done - reassigning it again as you did the first time.
2) As for this, can you check this documentation? https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/setting-the-wordpress-administration-language/

WPML provides you with an option to enable this, on the Users -> Your Profile page. In the WPML language settings section select the Set admin language as editing language check-box to dynamically change the WordPress administration language, according to the content’s language.

In your case, this is probably the option which is set, so make sure to disable it.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

August 30, 2019 at 11:06 am #4486781

vasileiosT-3

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!