This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 9 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
January 22, 2019 at 4:34 pm #3117436

andreaL-26

What are you trying to translate?
I need to set a different menu for the English versione of an italian site.

What are you seeing? (please include a screenshot)
the same menu

What's missing or not working for you?
create a new menu for different language

January 22, 2019 at 4:53 pm #3117466

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

For creating an English version for your current site, you have 2 options: to sync your current menu with the new one (this means that the new menu will bring back the same buttons from the default language one) or you can create a new fresh menu from scratch for the English language.

All you would need to do is practically go to the WordPress Dashboard > Appearance > Menus > and click the "+" in the top-right corner (where you have "Translations: + English") in order to create it from scratch or click on the "Sync" option to synchronize the default-language menu with the English one.

Here is also some very helpful documentation regarding translating menus:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Please let me know if you managed to translate the menu following the steps above or if you still need help. 🙂

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

January 22, 2019 at 5:33 pm #3117676

andreaL-26

Thanks for your reply, but I've tried to follow your instruction but the problem still remain.
Is like I'm not able to create another Menu than the italian one.

If I try to Sync the italian menu in English it appear in a different way on website than on CMS. See attached screenshot.

How can I solve this problem?

thanks

January 22, 2019 at 5:59 pm #3117787

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

In order to be able to help you faster, can you please paste your WPML Debug information in the Debug information field?
http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Also, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of the site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box.

The private box looks like this: hidden link

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai Apetrei

January 23, 2019 at 6:46 pm #3122178

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

After spending some time on the backend of your site, I can see that you are using multiple custom links (like the one in the screenshot - not simple ones) that are using specific settings to display sub-buttons on 2 columns etc so my recommendation is that you create a manual menu translation (https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/#option-1-translating-menus-manually).

Just click "+English" and then give the menu a name.

After that, start re-creating the menu.

Here is some helpful documentation for creating dropdown menus with WordPress, in case you were not the one who created the current menu:
hidden link

Please let me know if you have any questions in the process.

I will be looking for your reply.

Kind regards,
Mihai