This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: The user wanted to have an item in French menu that is not synced but edited Solution: The user was having 2 menus unlinked, after linking both menu, the issue was resolved.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Tracey Rissik 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
August 14, 2019 at 9:31 am #4393717

Tracey Rissik

Tell us what you are trying to do?
I initially synchronised the menus using this functionality (screenshot) : hidden link
However, my client then decided he only wants the forum in English, so I deleted the French version of the page - and as you can see in the screenshot it shows as "untranslated"

I then updated the menu to include a "Custom link" to the English version of the page, within the French main menu: hidden link

However, when I refresh the "front" of the website, the old menu link remains, and will only point to the binned version of the Forum page.

Is there any documentation that you are following? No

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link (French version)

Thanks
Tracey

August 14, 2019 at 4:18 pm #4396609

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

You can update the menu manually, by going to Appearance->Menus and switching language from to admin topbar and then update the menus in each language the way it suits you.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,
Jamal

August 14, 2019 at 4:31 pm #4396629

Tracey Rissik

Hi Jamal,

I already did this - in my original ticket I wrote : "I updated the menu to include a "Custom link" to the English version of the page, within the French main menu: hidden link " - as you can see in this screenshot, the new menu name in the Menu section, in French, is "Forum (Anglais)"

However, as you can see from this screenshot of the French version of the site, the menu name has not changed, it persists in showing the old page (just called "Forum") and the link attempts to link to the deleted page so you land up getting a "Page Not Found".
hidden link

This is precisely why I need assistance, as the link between the English version of FORUM is still trying to access the old deleted French Forum page.

I hope that makes sense?

thanks
Tracey

August 15, 2019 at 8:31 am #4399509

Jamal
Supporter

Hello Tracey,

Would you allow me temporary access to your backend, I'll check both menus and get back to you with a solution. Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup. Check the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

hidden link

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Best regards,
Jamal

August 15, 2019 at 9:40 am #4399929

Jamal
Supporter

Hi Tracey,

The French and English menus were separate menus, they were not linked as translations to each other. See the attached image, once I linked the French menu to the English one, the issue was resolved.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Best regards,
Jamal

August 15, 2019 at 10:23 am #4400227

Tracey Rissik

Thanks so much Jamal, I missed out that crucial point! Thanks very much for your help.

all the best,
Tracey