This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by tanguyR-4 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
March 26, 2019 at 8:00 am #3459923

tanguyR-4

I am trying to:
translate widget in french on my homepage
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
I expected to see:
"Le site est entièrement accessible sur mobile" as it has been translated in the WPML /string translation page
Instead, I got:
"And it's fully Responsive!" as it is written in the english version of the homepage

March 26, 2019 at 8:27 am #3460209

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

It seems to me that nothing is translated on this page, or? Are other widgets translated as well, or you only tried translating this one?

It is possible that you are using some sort of caching system and that it should be cleared, have you checked there as well?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 26, 2019 at 11:11 am #3461815

tanguyR-4

hi,

thank you for your feedback, I have tried to translate few widgets but none are being translated.
I m waiting to see if there is not a problem on my side before translating the entire page.

Concerning the caching system i have tried refreshing the french page on different browsers also in incognito I cannot see the "And it's fully Responsive!" sentence being translated anywhere so i doubt the issue comes from here. I have been trying to translated content all day long and nothing will appear translated

March 26, 2019 at 1:57 pm #3463133

tanguyR-4

I dont if it helps but it says :

For String Tracking to work, the option Assume that the original language of all strings is English was automatically disabled. To enable it back, go to WPML->Theme and Plugins localization.

but if i try to do that , i got an error message (see pic)

I dont know if the problem comes from there but it is a bit frustrating as I have paid 95 USD and spend the entire day trying on a plugin which is not working

March 26, 2019 at 3:06 pm #3463919

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

This "Error: data not saved":

Can check some of these advice on how to possibly fix this:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/assume-that-the-original-language-of-all-strings-is-english-2/#post-3151203
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/we-want-to-show-a-hidden-language-but-not-saving-giving-error-data-not-saved/#post-1263043
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/assume-that-the-original-language-of-all-strings-is-english-doesnt-work/page/2/#post-2445675

So any notice that you can close with X and usually appear at the top of the dashboard.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 26, 2019 at 3:21 pm #3464093

tanguyR-4

thank you for the message, I dont have the error message anymore when I tick "Assume that the original language of all strings is English"
But it still doesnt solve my issue, none of the translation I added for the widgets in WPML /string translation page are visible on the french version of my homepage.
I cannot translate a single word so far.

March 26, 2019 at 4:44 pm #3464769

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

In order to debug this issue further quickly, would you be willing to provide me with temporary WordPress admin username so I could investigate the issue directly? I have marked your next reply private so you can safely add this information.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Please make a full backup of your site before sharing this info!

You can use plugins such as UpdraftPlus WordPress Backup Plugin (https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/) or ask your host to perform a site backup.

Regards,

March 27, 2019 at 12:30 pm #3470961

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I've checked inside and everything you did looks correct. It could be a compatibility issue with theme/plugin or the whole setup. A fastest workaround, however, would be to clone these widgets and set them per-language. Check this image on how I did it (cloning goes with one click). It does seem to work:
hidden link

See the title:
Community Events FR.

Let me know if this solution would work for you!

Regards,
Bruno Kos

March 28, 2019 at 5:54 am #3477131

tanguyR-4

Thank you Bruno, the solution of cloning the widget works well and is perfectly fine with me.

I still have issue with the menu translation though. If you look at the widget Grimlock Navigation Menu Section on the French homepage which got Features - Homepage -Menu in it ( see picture attached), it will show something completely different (in terms of image and content) compared to the same menu in the english widget and somehow I cannot synchronise it the way I synchronised the other menus, the elements appears in blue ( see picture attached).

Any clue on where the problem can come from?

March 28, 2019 at 9:32 am #3478737

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

It seems like this happened because there was no French translation of this menu. See this now:
hidden link

And open this:
hidden link
This is now translation of:
hidden link

So edit this menu now as you please. Note that icons aren't showing properly since they have <span class=\"icon-wrapper\">, so it does not render them, but if you check the first items that I fixed, it works well now, so you will need to fix others as well.

You can also put description within menu item and it should show on translation now.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 1, 2019 at 9:12 am #3505713

tanguyR-4

Hello Bruno,

Thank you for your help, I am still struggling for updating menus even by watching the videos tutorial.
I dont understand how you can add the same menu in the another language by keeping all categories of the menus with images and having just to translate title and text hover the images.
If you look at the menu cities and the homepage:
hidden link
I cannot find a way to create the same menu for the french version:
hidden link
and being able to keep the images per category and having just the hover text to translate.
I wish I could juste clone the menu the way we cloned the widgets
every time I will create a french version of the cities menu the menu appears completely empty.

April 1, 2019 at 11:58 am #3507605

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

I wish I could juste clone the menu the way we cloned the widgets

I think you can - you would simply edit this menu as you do the original one:
hidden link

On the translated one, I see that images aren't there and most likely some other information. Try editing that menu here, including adding missing images, links, etc.

This is the original one:
hidden link

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 2, 2019 at 2:59 am #3513061

tanguyR-4

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your precious and quick help.
The thing that I don’t understand if now if I select the menu cities in English and I click on the “French” language I will see all the categories that were in the English menu and that just need to be translated/updated .
The problem I had before is that I couldn’t see the categories (Tokyo, Yokohama…) of the Cities menu when I clicked on the French language.

What did you do to make them appear?
For example, if I go to + japanese to translate/update the Japanese version of this Cities menu and i create the menu, it will be empty (see image attached). How can I get the cities categories there ?

April 2, 2019 at 7:26 am #3514329

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Hi,

Can you check here on how I did it?
hidden link

Regards,
Bruno Kos

April 3, 2019 at 2:42 pm #3527415

tanguyR-4

Thanks A LOT for the video Bruno, really clear and useful!