This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcel 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcel.

Author Posts
February 28, 2019 at 1:21 pm #3255469

simonV-8

I am trying to: use string translation

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see: that the yellow part will go away, once I have the translation in

Instead, I got: all the times the yellow part, and it uses this translation

March 1, 2019 at 2:29 pm #3261605

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi Simon,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support.

Do you mean that it always overwrite with the input from the yellow marked field?

Can you maybe use the search filter and try to search a Text String from this element to check if you have registered this String 2x times? This text comes from WordPress self, but it could be additional included in your Theme, which will overwrite the Strings.

Kind Regards
Marcel

March 1, 2019 at 2:59 pm #3261736

simonV-8

Dear Marcel

I am not sure how to use the filter for search for this string. But it seems as it is only one time.

I also deleted the cache from wpml and the ghost entries.

Could it be an issue with the database, for example if there is a problem with the database connection?

Regards,

Simon

March 1, 2019 at 5:36 pm #3262575

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Simon,

I attached you a screenshot where you see the search filter. I would search for a word which is used in both translations, in your case "Änderung".

Please also update our Core Plugin and Add-Ons to the newest version. When this is OK we can debug PHP and the database.

Please let me know.

Kind Regards
Marcel

March 2, 2019 at 2:03 am #3263430

simonV-8

Dear Marcel

I really only have it one time in!

I think, we need to debug a bit deeper, what can I check else?

Check logfiles? DB connection? As I remember, this client has somehow a special enviroment with the database, but I need to check a bit more what exactly they have.

What we have in general, whenever we do somethings for client back end, then we get 503 errors.

Regards,

Simon

March 4, 2019 at 9:49 am #3267799

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Simon,

thank you for your reply. Of course, now we will do the debug and check the 503 errors. I just needed to be sure that the string is only imported once and the plugin are updated, as these are the most typical errors reasons.

#1 Debug - WordPress includes a debug mode which helps reveal PHP problems.

To enable it, open your wp-config.php file and look for

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', true );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.
If you open wp-config.php and that define statement is not there, you can add it right before this line:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Please note that you’ll see everything, not only related to our Plugins.
This will most likely include messages from other plugins, your theme and sometimes even WordPress core. The messages appear all over the place.
Sometimes they appear right on top, but they can also appear in the middle of the page.

DOC:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

Please report me the errors you are seeing.

#2 Site Access

I would eventually also need to request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP) to your site
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –
in order to be of better help and check if some configurations might need to be changed. As I see that the site is in development we can move it also to our servers if you have it local.

Your next answer will be private which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website ❌

✙ I would additionally need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme, and to change configurations on the site. This is also a reason the backup is really important.

Kind Regards
Marcel

The topic ‘[Closed] I try to save a translation, it "predefined" a translated version in yellow’ is closed to new replies.