This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

A problem with permissions; user lost access to plugin pages.

Solution:

I run role and capabilities reset script and all work well.

Relevant Documentation:

0% of people find this useful.

This topic contains 19 replies, has 5 voices.

Last updated by Stefan 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Marcin.

Author Posts
February 4, 2016 at 10:18 pm #805384

maryaM

I am trying to: Update my plugin

When I update the plugin, When I click on the "Configure" link in the plugins page, I get a "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page." The sidebar link is also missing, BUT when I updated one of my posts, then the two add-ons are available in the sidebar (String translation, and Translations queue), but I still cannot access the main settings page.

I've tried deactivating and activating again. I've tried removing all other plugins. I've tried reverting to a default theme. The only way I could get it to work was manually going into the wp-options table in the DB and clearing the "icl_sitepress_settings" field. But then, not only do I need to redo all the settings for the plugin, it also messes up a lot of my data. I'd like to figure out a way to update without redoing all the translation data.

February 4, 2016 at 10:30 pm #805391

Tia

Hello. Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I am happy to help you with this.

Sometimes this happens due to a feature within WordPress security. Try logging in and logging back out. Please let me know your results.

February 5, 2016 at 7:06 pm #806236

maryaM

Nope, that didn't do anything.

February 5, 2016 at 7:36 pm #806250

Tia

Let's try something else.

Change the authorization keys as per these instructions here:
https://wpml.org/2010/06/fixing-you-do-not-have-sufficient-permissions-to-access-this-page/

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

Steps:

1. Delete the WPML folder, sitepress-multilingual-cms, from within wp-content/plugins (or simply rename it for now)

2. Change the four authorization keys on your wp-config.php to something else. You can use the following link to create a set of four random keys ready to be pasted into your wp-config.php: hidden link

3. Re-enable WPML

If that fails:

1. delete the sitepress-multilingual-cms folder

2. Get a new copy from https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

3. Reinstall

February 9, 2016 at 4:53 pm #808481

maryaM

No sorry, that didn't work either.

I just tried it again to be safe, but I had found those instructions before. I've tried all the steps I could find on the forums that remotely sounded like my problem and they didn't do anything.

February 9, 2016 at 11:31 pm #808741

Tia

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.

The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

** IMPORTANT **

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If needed, I will be using a plugin called 'Duplicator' (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator) to make a local copy of the website for testing purposes. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Do I have your permission to move forward with Duplicator?

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

February 11, 2016 at 12:00 am #809828

Tia

Thank you for the information.

Were these plugins uploaded via FTP or from the WordPress backend?

February 12, 2016 at 6:10 pm #811832

maryaM

Via FTP. I was pretty far outdated and it didn't have an automatic upgrade option.

February 12, 2016 at 11:16 pm #812024

Tia

There might be wrong user permissions via the FTP versus what WordPress is using or corrupt files.

Let's try this:

** IMPORTANT ** Please backup a working copy of site files and database before continuing.

- Disable the WPML Plugins via the WordPress Dashboard

- Delete WPML Plugins via FTP

- Get the latest installs from https://wpml.org/account/downloads/

- Add WPML & plugins via Dashboard > Plugins > Add New

February 18, 2016 at 4:10 pm #817125

maryaM

That also did not have any effect. If it helps diagnose, the old version I was upgrading from was 2.4.3. Is there something that I should have done special from upgrading from so far behind?

February 19, 2016 at 7:26 pm #818767

Tia

Hello, Marya. I am going to do some more testing to iron out this issue. Is it okay if I duplicate your site locally with Duplicator? https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator) Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Do I have your permission to move forward with Duplicator?

February 23, 2016 at 10:34 pm #821675

maryaM

Yes. Please. Do whatever you need to do with those credentials. Let me know.

February 24, 2016 at 4:46 pm #822644

Tia

Great, thank you. I will get that duplicated to get this ironed out.

February 25, 2016 at 12:37 am #822833

Tia

It seems this issue needs further debugging.

I am going to escalate your ticket to 2nd Tier support where they can take a deeper look into the matter. Please give them time to respond.

February 25, 2016 at 3:22 pm #823540

Marcin

Dear Marya,

I am Marcin from 2nd tier support and I thing I solved this issue. From some reasons there was a problem with default permissions. I uploaded small plugin 'WPML reset WPML capabilities' and I activate it for a moment. Now all looks good and work and you can delete this small plugin on leave it if it happens again.

Could you confirm, that all works well?

Regards,
Marcin