If you are having a notice about writing the .mo files please read this doc

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Mihai Apetrei 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 19, 2018 at 3:12 pm #2832534

damienB-2

I am trying to: I want to implement hreflang en-gb and en-us on my site and I can't manage to do it! Can you tell me how to install properly both hreflang please? I want the default hidden link to be en-us and hidden link to be en-gb. I followed your link and explanation but WP refuses to have the same code language (en) twice...

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

I expected to see:

Instead, I got:

October 19, 2018 at 4:12 pm #2832645

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

You can change the hfreflang used on your site from WPML > Languages > and click "Edit languages"

Here is some really helpful documentation for that:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/#check-your-hreflang-settings-and-make-sure-they-are-as-you-intend-them-to-be

Please let me know if this solved your issue or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai

October 20, 2018 at 8:24 am #2833937

damienB-2

Hi Mihai,

First of all, thank you for your answer.

I know that I have to go to WPML > Languages > and click "Edit languages". In fact, that's when I'm there that I have my problem!

So, when I'm there, how can I implement two hreflang for the same language.

For example: language "en" and hreflang "en-us" and "en-gb"

OR language "fr" and hreflang" fr-fr" and "fr-ca"?

Your system seems to refuse it because the language code is the same!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Damien

October 20, 2018 at 6:41 pm #2834570

damienB-2

Hi Mihai,
I'm not sure you had my answer saying that my problem wasn't solved.
Can you please confirm?
Kind regards.
Damien

October 22, 2018 at 2:38 pm #2838471

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+02:00)

Hi Damien.

Sorry, it was not clear for me that you wanted to use the same hreflang tag for the same language as I've seen those different links that you mentioned (the "/" and "/uk").

Is there a specific reason why you would like to use the same hreflang for the same language?

That's achievable by using this filter:

$hreflang_items = apply_filters( 'wpml_hreflangs', $hreflang_items )

However, if you want to use this for language variation purposes, a better approach would be to create them as custom languages and the hreflangs will be generated automatically.

Here you can find more about this:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/editing-wpmls-languages-table/

Please let me know if this solved your issue or if you still need help.

I will be waiting for your response.

Kind regards,
Mihai