This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
August 12, 2019 at 6:16 am #4378485

eiichiK

Tell us what you are trying to do? When people open the web site, it automatically jump to their language page. That's very nice except China. Our server is in Tokyo and Chinese people have a hard time to access our server. It takes long time. So when people in China (or Chinese computer) open the our website, I want to make it to jump to web site in China instead of our Chinese page. We made the same website (cocinc.cn) in China just in Chinese. Can you make that for us?

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site? hidden link

August 12, 2019 at 12:49 pm #4380927

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: America/Montevideo (GMT-03:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting WPML support.

This behavior you are requesting is not within WPML options. However I would recommend you to create a redirection that redirects users that visit the page in Chinese to the new Chinese page.

You can use any of this plugins that are compatible with WPML: https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/?wpv_view_count=119945&dev=0&wpv-plugin-functionality=0&wpv_post_search=redirect&wpv_filter_submit=Search

Kind regards,
Carlos

August 12, 2019 at 1:42 pm #4381337

eiichiK

Hello Carlos,
Thank you for your advise. Which one can redirect to URL by their country (China)?

Best Regards,
Eiichi

August 12, 2019 at 2:30 pm #4381643

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Eiichi,

Yes, you can redirect by IP address if you expect that the users from China only visits the chinese version of the page. But I also recommend you to redirect all the traffic that visits the URLs in chinese to the new page in Chinese.

Regards,
Carlos

August 13, 2019 at 2:25 am #4384341

eiichiK

I just bought WPML Redirect Based on IP Country as your recommendation. I chose China and Chinese for the mapping. But I can't find to set URL to redirect. I made the website in Chinese in the different Domain in China. This is because the access speed from China to outside of China is very slow but the access in China is OK.

August 13, 2019 at 9:25 am #4386583

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

For more information on how to setup this plugin I recommend you to contact the authors of Redirect Based on IP Country plugin and ask them how to configure it correctly. Unfortunately I'm not an expert on this plugin and it's interface.

Please let me know if you need further assistance and I will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos

August 15, 2019 at 6:51 am #4399217

eiichiK

Carlos,
Here is from the author.
You cannot set URLs within my plugin, instead set it via WPML itself to keep separate domains structure and my plugin will pick that up.
I spent $19 for this plugin. Any solution?
Thanks,
Eiichi

August 15, 2019 at 6:08 pm #4402905

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Eiichi,

I'm sorry but I don't understand what do you mean with: "set it via WPML itself to keep separate domains structure and my plugin will pick that up"

Could you elaborate a little more so I can have a better understanding?
Regards,
Carlos

August 15, 2019 at 10:00 pm #4403683

eiichiK

Carlos,

I don't know. That's from the author.
Thanks,
Eiichi

August 16, 2019 at 12:13 pm #4406211

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Eiichi,

Maybe the author is referring to this option: https://wpml.org/2016/04/use-wpml-different-domains-per-language/

Have you tried this?

Regards,
Carlos

August 17, 2019 at 4:12 am #4409397

eiichiK

Carlos,

I looked it. I need to set just one language to different domain, not every languages.

Thanks
Eiichi

August 19, 2019 at 5:58 am #4413635

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Eiichi,

Yes, I understand, but I don't know why the plugin's author referred to this option as it shouldn't solve your issue.

Can you create a redirect in the plugin from every URL in Chinese to the equivalent in the Chinese site?

Regards,
Carlos