This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Radu 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assigned support staff: Radu.

Author Posts
September 13, 2019 at 11:58 am #4568463

marylinM

Tell us what you are trying to do?

Hi there,
I would like to disassociate the different languages from each other and stop using language translation management. Basically what has happened is that our company has grown and we have different teams working on each country and language. We do not need to translation management because the pages can be created natively by each team.

We also noticed that the pages translated using WPML only take the English version for SEO indexing, despite the fact SEO (yoast plugin) is enabled and filled on all languages. I am not sure if this is a result of a WPML configuration but it seems to be the case.

Is there a way to stop all future translation management, and have all the languages exist independently?

What is the link to your site?
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link
hidden link

September 16, 2019 at 4:25 am #4576287

Radu
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hey Marylin,

Thank you for reaching out the WPML support!

I'm glad to hear that your company is bigger now and you have different teams to take care of each language. Now, can you give me a few more details about this change that you'd like to do, please? I mean, the WPML plugin is made to keep everything in one place and let you edit the translation from the website dashboard area. Can you tell me a bit more about what do you expect from this translation management change? This way I'll be able to tell you if you can do this change or not.

For now, you need to give all the people from your teams access to the dashboard area and each one of them has to select the language that wants to edit (and add new pages or posts).

Thanks,
Radu

September 16, 2019 at 3:28 pm #4582007

marylinM

Hi Radu,

Thank you for responding.

Actually what's happening is that English the lead language and the other languages were translated based on the English version. It is also the only language the shows up on google, I think because it is labeled as a default language.

When we create pages nowadays, we don't go through the translator. We simply create a new page in wordpress and create it directly in the necessary language.

Ideally what I would like to do is not have any default language, just independent languages. And not manage the translations with the translations. Just use the language switcher to hop between languages.

Does this make sense? Is this possible?

September 18, 2019 at 7:43 am #4593267

Radu
Supporter

Hey Marylin,

So basically you'd like to simply create pages on each language from your website, but without having them connected to translations, am I right? You can definitely do this. In this case, the language switcher from each page would just simply take you to the root of the other language, am I right? For example, if you're on the Contact page but have no translation connected to it, when changing the language from English to French, you'll be taken to the root of the French page. Is this what you'd like to do? I just want to make sure that I understand exactly what you're looking for.

Regarding the default language, I'm afraid that you cannot set the plugin not to have it. I mean, there will always have to be at least one language on your website and that's the default one. Is there any specific reason why you'd like not to have a default language?

Thanks,
Radu

September 18, 2019 at 7:58 am #4593481

marylinM

Hi Radu,

The problem we are having is that we have set English as our default language. We think this makes sense because we are pan European and we wanted our .com to refer to the english version. However we are based in France and a large majority of our clients are french.

For some reason, on SEO terms, it only picks up the english version of all the pages, even in france (we had selected the option "redirect based on browser language). However when you look up our company in France, only those english pages would be indexed (even with our yoast plugin and meta data in france).

We were thinking that this is related to the structure of WPML and we are afraid of not being able to index French pages. We opted for removing the "redirect by browser language" in the WPML setting and we are waiting to see what happens. In the meantime, I was hoping that if we could remove a "default" language, maybe this would help the problem.

Do you have any insights into this situation?

September 18, 2019 at 12:28 pm #4596553

Radu
Supporter

Hey Marylin,

As you can see here https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/automatic-redirect-based-on-browser-language/#potential-interaction-with-google-indexing, deactivating the browser redirect might be exactly what you're looking for. Now you just have to wait for Google to reindex your website to see how things look this time.

Thanks,
Radu

The topic ‘[Closed] I want to stop managing translations, but keep plugin for managing language swit’ is closed to new replies.