This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
June 19, 2019 at 12:24 pm #4051399

danielF-60

Tell us what you are trying to do? TRANSLATING FORUM TITLES ONLY

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?

June 19, 2019 at 2:22 pm #4052107

danielF-60

the bbpress forum is in German and French. I want to publish only 1 forum, so they see the same topics, replies etc.
How can I do only translate the forum titles?? The rest they can translate with google browser translater, or do you have a better solution?
Thanks for your help!

June 19, 2019 at 3:45 pm #4052995

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

I would like to access the admin area of your site for further checking. Please fill the private details fields after a full site backup.

Please check the following links for more details about our private information sharing policies.

https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

hidden link

Also please share me a couple of screenshots for a better understanding fo the issue.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 20, 2019 at 7:27 am #4057221

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the login information. Please try the following steps and check you are getting the expected result or not.

1) Visit WPML>>Settings
2) Scroll down to *Post Types Translation* section
3) Choose *Translatable - only show translated items* as the translation option for the *Forums* post type
4) Save the changes
5) Translate a Forum post to French

Please check the attached image for more details and let me know your feedback.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 20, 2019 at 7:33 am #4057259

danielF-60

When I do it like this the topics and answers are gone! I want to only translate title of the forum but keep the content of the language it was written.

June 20, 2019 at 3:38 pm #4061089

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback. We have to choose *Translatable - only show translated items* or *Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language* as the translation preference to translating a Post Type's posts.

*Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language* option allows showing the default language post in the secondary language without content duplication.

Please choose *Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language* as the translation preference for the Forums, Topics and Replies post type. Then check you are getting the expected result or not.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 24, 2019 at 12:11 pm #4077059

danielF-60

I did like described. The forums are shown in German and French now. But as soon as I enter a french translation for a forum it disappears from the french website version. What do I need to do so I can translate the forum title and the topics and replies remain?

June 24, 2019 at 2:37 pm #4078059

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. I would like to know the following for a better understanding of the issue. Please let me know your feedback.

a) You have translated the forum posts to French. Then the Topics and Replies are not showing in French homepage, am I right? Or the forum posts translation is not showing in the frontend.

b) You have trashed forum posts translation because of this issue

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 24, 2019 at 3:24 pm #4078251

danielF-60

After I translated a German forum post to French, the forum disappeared from the french website version frontend.

you have the login, you can login and have a look.

June 25, 2019 at 4:21 am #4081255

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Please allow me to make a duplicator copy of your site using the Duplicator plugin(https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/) for debugging the issue on my local server.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 26, 2019 at 1:13 pm #4092689

danielF-60

Yes that's ok!

June 26, 2019 at 5:55 pm #4094461

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for your permission. I made a Duplicator copy of your site now. Will debug it further and get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 28, 2019 at 7:24 am #4105069

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

For your kind updates, the translated Forum posts are listing in my local copy after I translate the parent forum post and change the Post ID of the *bbp-single-forum* shortcode in French Homepage. Please check the attached images for more details.

But the Topics and Replies are not showing under the translated Forum posts. So I forwarded the details to our second tier team for the expert opinion. We will get back to you soon. Please wait.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

June 28, 2019 at 4:44 pm #4109513

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

For your kind information, there are limitations to achieve this requirement. It requires custom coding. When translating the Forum posts we have to translate the Topics and Replies posts also. Then only Topics and Replies will be listed under the translated Forum posts.

So as a workaround you can hardcode the Forum titles by code. You can use *bbp_get_forum_title* function for this purpose. Please check the following link.

https://plugins.trac.wordpress.org/browser/bbpress/trunk/includes/forums/template.php#L367

Please use *wpml_current_language* API to get the current language selection of the site - https://wpml.org/wpml-hook/wpml_current_language/

--
Thanks!

Bigul

The topic ‘[Closed] I wanted to translate title of a forum now it appears only in 1 language’ is closed to new replies.