This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Raja Mohammed 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Raja Mohammed.

Author Posts
August 29, 2019 at 5:53 am #4477939

JolandaR

The site is maintained in the Netherlands and has a com (for international) domain extension. For translation we needed to translate from nl to other languages.

For that reason, the nl language has now become the root with an extra page where visitors of .com can choose their region/language.

The international English site is located at /ed (short for english default) and there is also an English site for people from the UK at /en

Now we go live and want Google to correct index all languages off course, but I wonder if Google will be missing /nl now and will mix up the translation.

We want .com to index /ed and we want Google to index the nl translation at root of .com.
At the same time people from the UK need to get the /en translation in their Google results.

Any experience how to handle this? Do we need to move from root to /nl for Dutch language and is it afterwards still possible to have that language as preferred for new or old translation purposes than?

Any experience in this matter or help will be very nice!

August 29, 2019 at 6:44 am #4478001

JolandaR

Sorry wasn't aware of direct support, thought it was the forum already.

Answering your question, Yes, I know that the .com/nl links currently in the Google index need to be taken care of. I can make a redirect for those links I guess. But I need to know if a 301 (permanent redirect) is appropiate in this case. If I need to change something on the structure for nl language, I better do it now.

August 29, 2019 at 9:16 am #4479089

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

301 redirect would be appropriate for users, However, with google, You can reindex and clear the old entries so that display of results will also show the .com sites for NL language which would be more appropriate.

Regarding your next question International and British English, You might need to adjust the hreflang code for the International English from ed to en and en to en_UK for British specific. With this, the indexing will be very much specific and more appropriate. Users from UK will get the content delivered with UK English.

More explanation about how hreflang works https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/#how-wpml-creates-hreflang-tags

To edit existing hreflang goto WPML > Languages > Edit languages where will have the option to update hreflang code for activated languages
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/#how-wpml-creates-hreflang-tags

Let me know if you need further assistance in this case.

Kind regards
Raja

September 1, 2019 at 12:21 am #4491621

JolandaR

Thanks for your help on this!

I still miss information about handling the root of .com (now with default Dutch language instead of English as may be expected).

So will missing a separate /nl directory lead to a wrong/mixed index by Google, presenting nl pages at international searchresults?
Will it lead to not finding the /ed folder with pages that need to be indexed for international purposes?
Will it lead to un-indexed Dutch pages for Dutch visitors of Google?
Will it lead to indexed Dutch pages for international English visitors of Google?

It's a bit difficult to explain, hope you understand my question though, together with my previous messages and the URL.

Kind regards,
Jolanda

September 2, 2019 at 6:54 am #4494847

Raja Mohammed
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

All your pages of the site are indexed by google regardless of the language you user unless you have specifically mentioned not to index pages.

The multilingual content is served to the user based on the language and the region of the user. if the language or the region of the user is nl then nl contents will be served for the user regardless of whether it is a .com site or under /nl domain.

What matters is the hreflang tag of the page, as mentioned in my previous reply the hreflang for internation content should be "en" and for uk should be "en_uk" check the attached screenshot.

Answering your question as it was asked :

Google, presenting nl pages at international search results?
No, as mentioned earlier google will display the pages based on the language of the user

Will it lead to not finding the /ed folder with pages that need to be indexed for international purposes?
Please change the hreflang for international content to en, the folder or the path doesn't matter to google

Will it lead to un-indexed Dutch pages for Dutch visitors of Google?
All pages of your sites will be indexed, However, the content is served based on the language of the page.

Will it lead to indexed Dutch pages for international English visitors of Google?
No

Please go through the document for detailed explanation https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/#how-wpml-creates-hreflang-tags

More information about how Google indexes the multilingual site please refer
hidden link

I hope this clarifies you better.

Regards
Raja