We have just released WPML 4.3.3. Before reporting issues please make sure to update - this version resolves all known issues with the major WPML 4.3 release

Hi, Amit here, I am the WPML Support Manager, our current ticket queue is high, update your WPML plugins and make sure you meet the minimal requirements for running WPML before reporting an issue please - many tickets are resolved doing that

Please look at our updated list of Known Issues and you can also use our support search to find helpful information and of course review our documentation before opening a ticket.

If you do need to open a ticket please make sure to provide us with all the needed information as described in this page

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

The following message is showing in the Query Monitor report.

Illegal mix of collations (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='

Solution:

Here is how the user solved this problem.

In phpMyAdmin, for the tables icl_strings, icl_pages and icl_urls, I re-applied the ut8_unicode_ci collation while checking the box "Change all column collations". The warning disappeared inQuery Monitor.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 7 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Itamar.

Author Posts
April 8, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Jessica

When I update string translation to newest version (2.10.3), Query Monitor finds a Data base error:

Illegal mix of collations (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='

WPML Multilingual CMS (4.2.5) and other WPML plugins are all up to date to newest versions.

I tried deactivating all plugins except WPML + Query Monitor and the error still appears.

April 8, 2019 at 3:27 pm
April 8, 2019 at 8:48 pm #3561253

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+02:00)

Hi.

Could you please try the following?

1. Take a backup of the DB of your site.

2. Go to WPML -> Support -> Troubleshooting (link)
Please see attached screenshot support-troubleshooting

3. Once on the troubleshooting screen press the following button and check if it helps.
- Fix WPML tables collation

*** Please make a backup of your database before using this.***

Thanks,
Itamar.

April 9, 2019 at 2:20 pm #3567907

Jessica

I had try the " Fix WPML tables collation" the first time with no luck.

However, I fixed the problem before I saw your last message. Here's how:

In phpMyAdmin, for the tables icl_strings, icl_pages and icl_urls, I re-applied the ut8_unicode_ci collation while checking the box "Change all column collations". The warning disappeared inQuery Monitor.

April 9, 2019 at 3:22 pm #3568753

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+02:00)

Great, I'm glad that it is solved now!
Good luck with your web projects 🙂
Itamar.