Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 42 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
December 17, 2018 at 8:34 pm #3010102

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-05:00)

Okay, I activated String Translation and can see the issue happening. We will need to further troubleshoot and I don't want to affect your live site. I've set up a staging site here:
Login: hidden link
Username: demo
Password: dt84B2LWNe8d

I was able to reproduce the issue so I am escalating this to our compatibility team. In the meantime, as a workaround, you can add your captions directly to the media files in Media and you can translate Media using WPML Media Translation.

I will update here as soon as I have more information.

January 6, 2019 at 9:32 am #3060141

rufusB

Hi, any update on this?

January 7, 2019 at 3:40 pm #3063412

Lauren
Supporter

Our developers are currently working on this issue. As soon as I have a solution I will update here. Thanks for your continued patience.

January 22, 2019 at 10:28 am #3115617

rufusB

It turns out that the captions and other text issues are caused by my site host's optimization plugin. What remains is the inability to edit woocommerce products with WPML string translation and/or translation management active.

January 22, 2019 at 6:10 pm #3117806

Lauren
Supporter

As the original issue is resolved may I kindly ask you please to open a new ticket for this question?
This will also help other users with similar problems find solutions when searching the forum as well as we avoid mixing lots of questions in one ticket.

Thank you for your understanding.

February 10, 2019 at 12:30 pm #3179699

rufusB

Since your last update, this problem has returned when i created a new page and edited an existing one, unrelated to my site's optimisation plugin. You appear to have removed the manual translation option and while captions appear translated backend using the translation editor and string translator, they do not appear front end. Custom captions entered using elementor do not save. I am once again using image captions in place of custom ones.

February 11, 2019 at 3:25 pm #3183782

Lauren
Supporter

This has been escalated to our developers and they are working to resolve it. As for manual translation, we have not removed that as an option. That setting is still available in WPML -> Settings.

As soon as we have a solution or workaround, I will update here.

March 6, 2019 at 12:32 pm #3278969

rufusB

Three months later and no solution.

March 6, 2019 at 3:35 pm #3280078

Lauren
Supporter

You can still use manual translation. Now, when you are editing a page/product/post, you will see in the right column an option to use WPML's translation editor. You can disable the WPML translation editor and translate the pages manually.

As for the Elementor caption, it is still in queue to be resolved. I will let you know as soon as I have an update from our developers.

April 3, 2019 at 6:13 pm #3529641

rufusB

4 months and another update.

I can add that this effects title widgets and images as well as captions. It turns out from tests that saving any translated page in elementor without first deactivating string translator, media translator and translation management also screws up the translated elementor my account page(https://wpml.org/forums/topic/stock-quantities-are-not-copying/), making the tabs inaccessible.

April 4, 2019 at 3:45 pm #3536713

Lauren
Supporter

It is still in the queue to be worked on, so I can promise that the issue has not been forgotten. The compatibility team works on issues/bugs in regards to priority and how many clients are experiencing the issue. Unfortunately, we have only seen this issue happening for a handful of people, so other issues have been placed ahead on the timeline. I do have confirmation from our developers that it is still in line to be worked on, I just don't have an estimated time to offer you for a resolution. I wish I had better news to send you.

As for the issue with saving Elementor and having to deactivate WPML plugins, that is a separate issue as well as the account page being messed up. Please open new tickets for those issues, so that we resolve one issue at a time per ticket. This allows users with similar issues to report the problem or find solutions, as well as keeping one thread from becoming confusing with too many topics.

I will update here as soon as I hear that the original issue has been resolved.

April 4, 2019 at 3:57 pm #3536741

rufusB

I don't understand how this is a separate issue. It is the issue as far as I can see, and it expresses itself in these various ways.

April 4, 2019 at 5:27 pm #3537267

Lauren
Supporter

The Elementor custom caption is not saved in the database which is why it consequently is not displayed on the frontend. The other elements should be able to be translated as normal, as they are stored differently. So that is why they are considered separate issues.

December 10, 2019 at 7:00 pm #5102445

rufusB

More than a year now, how many updates? and no fix.

SHAME ON YOU!

December 10, 2019 at 8:22 pm #5102749

Lauren
Supporter

I'm very sorry this has not been resolved for you, however it is out of my hands and in the hands of our development team. I have added another note requesting an update. There have been a few more reports of this issue, and the more reports we get, the more pressure on our developers to get a resolution, so hopefully we will see some progress in the near future.