This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 25, 2018 at 6:57 am #2762640

deborahv

I am trying to:

Use the same Image Titel and ALT description for all of my images, when displayed in 3 languages (Dutch, English and German)

Before the update, I renamed my images once, and added the alt description.
This title and alt description was then used for all of my 3 languages.

Now since the update, if I rename my images and add the alt description, the alt description is used for all of my images. But the title is only displayed in the image where I have added it. (Usually Dutch)

For example in Dutch:

- Title: This is an image of a machine
- Alt: image of a machine

The German / English image library shows:

- Title: this_is_an_image_of_a_machine.jpg (<the title should be displayed as above)
- Alt: image of a machine

I do not need and want to translate my images. I upload them once, and use them for every language, since the title is 'universal' and does not need to be translated.
I have over 4000 images, and I am in no position to manually edit them and add the titles, which have always been displayed correctly before.

What settings should I change to make it work as before?
Media settings are for images are set to:

- Translatable, only display translated items

Other settings you can see in attached image.

September 26, 2018 at 8:53 am #2766495

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I will be helping you with this question,. For the moment, I have no clear answer for you.
Please read this thread comment to see what the status of Media duplication is at the moment:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translated-pages-do-not-show-the-correct-media-name/page/3/#post-2760334

I describe a workaround that you can try for your particular case until I am clear on what the intended behaviour is from our developers.

Does this help you for the moment?

October 5, 2018 at 7:13 am #2789688

deborahv

Hi Yvette, thank you for your reply.

So basically, I need to edit a core file of wpml ? and then still need to manually edit my images? Please help me out because I do not understand you workaround.
I just need a simple solution to have all of my translated images the same titles.

October 5, 2018 at 8:41 am #2789900

Yvette
Supporter

Yes - that is exactly what you need to do.

If you need help, I can do it for you, but you should try doing this yourself as you will need to re-apply this workaround until the issue is addressed in a future release.

From what I can see, there is more and more discussion about this topi in the development team due to clients like you having an unreasonable management interface to deal with.

October 9, 2018 at 10:24 am #2799473

deborahv

Hello Yvette, thank you for explaining.
It is very unforunate, as we have > 4.000 images, translated into 3 languages. Which means 12.000 images that need to be edited.

I am just wondering why Enfold would change a feature that is already working seamlessly.
We need to figure out an easy way to do this...

October 9, 2018 at 11:18 am #2799712

Yvette
Supporter

Hello

I think you misunderstood (or I did). You do not need to manually edit each image if your intention is to have them all have the same texts.

The steps are this:
1. Modify the core file
2. Then use the bulk operations to duplicate the post type = "media" to all languages.

This will then syncrhonise all media images in the 2nd langauge to the what it is in the 1st language. You would not have to edit 12000 images.

Also, this is not an Enfold issue but a WPML one.

The topic ‘[Closed] Image title + alt disappeared translation’ is closed to new replies.