This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 3 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
July 9, 2019 at 6:49 am #4167809

canayY

I currently have about 1700 products in the base language of German, soon to be many more. These are being translated into English and Vietnamese. 78 products have been translated into English so far. Of these, the images are not displaying on around 70 of them.

I have the appropriate options selected under 'Media Translation'. Media has been duplicated for translated content. The problem is that after the process has run, I have to go into each individual product and click 'update' for the images to display. I have done this once already, following advice on these forums. This was annoying enough for 70 products - and not a valid solution for what will be nearly 3000 products by the end of the week, and now, the images on those initial 70 products have stopped showing again.

Why is this happening and what can be done to solve it? Why, if the translated products need to be 'updated' after the media translation process runs, is this not done automatically by the plugin? is there a way to bulk initiate it?

July 9, 2019 at 3:06 pm #4172279

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I am a bit confused about the process you are using to translate your products/images.

AT INSTALLATION TIME (only once)
Do I understand correctly that you have fully run the WPML > Settings > Media Installation (with all 4 options checked) at the time of install.

-- AND--
You also have enabled the options to duplicate media and featured image (under the checkbox) for all new content.

Correct?

WHEN YOU CREATE CONTENT:
With this setting, you create a new product, upload new media to the product, translate the product. Then, when you make any changes to the image in the original source product, the image should be automatically updated to all translations of the product wihtout having to do an extra save.

Is this where you are having difficulty?

July 15, 2019 at 10:30 am #4209817

canayY

"Do I understand correctly that you have fully run the WPML > Settings > Media Installation (with all 4 options checked) at the time of install.

-- AND--
You also have enabled the options to duplicate media and featured image (under the checkbox) for all new content."

Correct.

I create new products by importing from a csv file. I then create a translation job and send it either to an external agency, or a registered WordPress user, who does some of our translations.

When they finish the translation, the images do not display on the translated product. The only way for me to get them to show, is by manually going to the 'edit' screen for each translated product in WordPress, and then clicking 'update'.

July 15, 2019 at 10:55 am #4210057

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

You wrote: "..When they finish the translation, the images do not display on the translated product. The only way for me to get them to show, is by manually going to the 'edit' screen for each translated product in WordPress, and then clicking 'update'...

Normally, the product custom fields, of which the featured image is one, will update/copy to translations on save. This is why you are finding you have to "update" the original products for the images to copy.
Instead of manually editing each product, could you try using the "bulk edit" option?

This means selecting all products in source language, then using "bulk edit" option at the top of the screen, choose to "edit" and "save" without making any changes.

The real issue seem to be that with some methods of translation, the "update" filter/hook is not being activated so you are having to do this manually

The topic ‘[Closed] Images not reliably showing on translated products.’ is closed to new replies.