This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by jannekeW 2 years ago.

Assigned support staff: Ricardo Alday.

Author Posts
June 8, 2018 at 4:56 pm #2400874

jannekeW

I am trying to: Since you last update I've added a new product to my shop and wanted to translate the image to German. Now the German image can't be seen. Also translated it through media translation without succes.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: the same images as in the Dutch site.

Instead, I got: No images for that product on the German website

I also don't see the images in the translation field as I use to do. Only in Media Translation. I can not read the Documentation media translation that is there since the last update because it gives me a 403 Forbidden....

June 8, 2018 at 7:16 pm #2401096

jannekeW

PS, when I try to translate I noticed that the original is put on Englisch in stead of Dutch. In the settings it is correctly.... Is that why I can not translated the media anymore?

June 11, 2018 at 8:17 pm #2406337

Ricardo Alday

Hi,

Thanks for contacting support. This is a known issue. Can you please close this ticket and add a comment to this thread? - https://wpml.org/forums/topic/images-of-products-in-secondary-language-will-not-show/

There's a workaround posted there that you can try and by subscribing to the ticket or adding a comment you will be notified when the problem is fixed.

Thanks,
Ricardo

June 12, 2018 at 5:42 am #2406971

jannekeW

Thanks Ricardo,
I will do that. But does it also explain why I, when I try to translate a product, the original is put on Englisch in stead of Dutch. In the settings it is correctly.... Is that also why I can not translated the media anymore?

June 12, 2018 at 5:14 pm #2409158

Ricardo Alday

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think the issue in your screenshot is related to the media translation issue. Maybe you have "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" option checked. This option is found within WPML->Theme and Plugins localization -> Localization options.

Please deactivate it, save and try to rescan your plugin or theme.

If this does not resolve the issue since the plugin has already assumed that your strings are in English due to that option, you can go to WPML->String Translation-> FILTER by Domain (woocomerce) -> Once its filtered go to the bottom and click "display all results" check the box "domain" upper right corner; to select all strings and then change the language of all selected strings in bulk.

Hope that helps,
Rick

June 12, 2018 at 5:48 pm #2409217

jannekeW

Hi Ricardo,
No, the "Assume that the original language of all strings is English" option is not checked, see attachment.
Why do I have to change the language in the stringtranslator? It is about the product texts. They don't appear in the strings... or do they? In WPML my default theme is Dutch, and the translated language is German. Ever since the last update the default language in the WPML Translation Editor is English! See attachment.

June 12, 2018 at 5:51 pm #2409223

jannekeW

In Woocommerce Multilingual the setting is right! See attachment.

June 12, 2018 at 8:18 pm #2409562

Ricardo Alday

It is a strange case. I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:

hidden link

June 13, 2018 at 10:55 pm #2412359

Ricardo Alday

Thanks. I downloaded a copy of your site using the Duplicator plugin and I can see the issue. However, once the translation is finished and I go back to edit it, it does show the correct original language. It does not seem to affect anything else.
Have you checked if the purchase process is affected in any way for translated products?

June 14, 2018 at 4:33 am #2412471

jannekeW

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks, no it doesn't seem to affect the purchase process. But I thought it also had something to do with the fact that the German images don't show after translation. Or was that the bug? Is it solved now? I would like to translated the new Dutch products into German and show them.

Speaking of mixed languages, I also saw that, when I have both websites open (Dutch and German) and I do e.g. a search for a product on the German site in German, it can't be found because it searches probably in Dutch.

I get the notice in Dutch (on the German site - is translated in string correctly): Dit zoekwoord is niet gevonden.... gebruik een ander (This keyword was not found .... use another one) .
Then, when I search for a Dutch product/word in the German website, it gives me the result. Is that because I have both sites open or can my customers have the same issue? See attachment.

June 14, 2018 at 3:16 pm #2413769

Ricardo Alday

On my local test, I can create new products and translate them, even the images copy over to the translation. In the translation editor window, it does still show English as the original language but it changes once the translation has been finished so I don't think the issues are related.
Several other users reported the media translation problem and that was fixed but I have not seen any other reports of the original language being English in a translation editor.

The problem you're experiencing with the live search is because you have both sites open at the same time. I also get the same results. If I open the German version in one browser (Chrome) and the Dutch version in Firefox it doesn't happen anymore. This is because the language information is stored in a cookie and having both sites open at the same time on the same browser the cookie information does not update.
Users will not experience this because once they switch the language, the cookie gets updates too.

June 15, 2018 at 8:05 am #2414969

jannekeW

Thans for the explanation Ricardo, that makes sense.... all though I still can't translate the images,I will wait till the new release on Monday and hope it works.