Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Carlos Rojas 2 years, 4 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Carlos Rojas.

Author Posts
December 13, 2018 at 10:57 pm #2999631

m.K-2

Hello,
I'm totally confused now. Please help.

I'm using the ListingPro theme. Loco Translate was part of the theme. My website's default language is English. The default theme texts are often written in wrong English or they make no sense at all. I asked the Listingpro support how to change the texts and they said it's only possible with Loco Translate. I didn't want to change the website language, so I set WordPress to English (US) and I corrected the texts with the language English (GB) in Loco Translate. That worked perfectly fine.

Later I wanted to translate parts of my website into German, for example blog posts. I figured out that I cannot do that with Loco Translate, so I bought WPML. I thought I could use WPML for the translation of the blog post and continue using Loco Translate for correcting the English mistakes in the theme texts.

I only noticed today that the Loco translations are not showing anymore. I guess that happened when I started using WPML. I found out that WPML and Loco Translate don't work together. I read this support topic: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/how-to-use-loco-translate-with-wpml/

This was confusing for me as Lauren writes " there is NO way to import the Loco Translate translations to WPML". But in the next sentence she explains how to do it. So I didn't really understand if it's possible or not. But she wrote something about string translation. So I figured out that I have to upgrade WPML to be able to use String Translation.

I installed everything and wanted to follow Lauren's steps: "At the bottom of the page is a section where you can import the .mo files and assign them to any existing text domain, or create a new one."

I was confused again as at the bottom of the String translation it only says ".po file" and not ".mo file". So I first uploaded the .po file. I added a new language to WPML. I called it English (UK) with code gb, default locale en_GB, hreflang en. I changed the default language hreflang to en-us.

So under "Edit languages" it shows me three languages now:
English (US)

These languages are enabled for this site:
English
English-GB
German

But when I go "Back to languages" it shows me:
These languages are enabled for this site:
English (default)
English
German

That's confusing again as when I look at the strings it also only shows mit English and English instead of English-GB and English. When I want to choose "Use this language as the default language for new strings in this domain" for listingpro it just shows me English and English and I don't know what's what.

I couldn't get my GB English translations to show. Then I just tried to load the .mo-file at the bottom of the page. When I clicked on "translate" next to a string it showed me the before translated text with a yellow background on top of the translations. But I couldn't get it to work.

So my question: How can I translate parts of my US-english Theme into GB-english and other party into German? I don't want to loose all my translations from Loco Translate. It was a lot of work.

Thank you very much in advance,
Mary

December 14, 2018 at 4:56 pm #3002646

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello Mary,
Thank you for contacting WPML support. I will do my best to help you solve this issue.

1.- What my colleague Lauren explained in the mentioned ticket is that there is no way to import the Loco Translate translations to WPML. But, WPML has an option to import .po files and if you are able to export the translations made with Loco Translate to a .po file, then you will be able to import this file to WPML.

This doesn't mean that there is a way to migrate from Loco to WPML as .po files are used to store translations regardless the plugins.

Please visit this link where you will find the steps to follow in order to import .po files using WPML: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#import-export-po

2.- Please increase the PHP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );

- Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Note: Regarding the name of the English GB, please go to WPML -> Languages -> Edit Languages -> Add de GB at the end of the language's name in the table -> Save the changes.

Kind regards,
Carlos

December 18, 2018 at 11:06 am #3011716

m.K-2

Hello Carlos,
thank you for your reply. But unfortunately you didn't reply to any of my questions. See my replies between your replies below:

Carlos Rojas from WPML support has added the following message to your support thread:
Import from Loco Translate
Hello Mary,
Thank you for contacting WPML support. I will do my best to help you solve this issue.

1.- What my colleague Lauren explained in the mentioned ticket is that there is no way to import the Loco Translate translations to WPML. But, WPML has an option to import .po files and if you are able to export the translations made with Loco Translate to a .po file, then you will be able to import this file to WPML.

- - Yes, I wrote that your colleague Lauren explained about exporting files from Loco Translate and import it in WPML. She wrote about .mo files. And I asked you why she wrote about .mo files when there is only the option to import .po files. I wrote before that I first imported .po files and as it didn't work, I also imported .mo files, because she only wrote about mo.files. Which are the right ones now? .po or .mo? Anyway, as I said, the problem is that it didn't work.

This doesn't mean that there is a way to migrate from Loco to WPML as .po files are used to store translations regardless the plugins.

Please visit this link where you will find the steps to follow in order to import .po files using WPML: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#import-export-po

- - I don't know why you sent me this link. I told you before that I did exactly that already. I wrote you because I did it and it didn't work.

2.- Please increase the PHP Memory Limit. Minimum requirements are 128Mb: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
You can add this to wp-config.php to increase WP memory:

/** Memory Limit */

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');

define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M' );

- Add it above the line /* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

- - I increased the PHP Memory Limit.

Note: Regarding the name of the English GB, please go to WPML -> Languages -> Edit Languages -> Add de GB at the end of the language's name in the table -> Save the changes.
I have no idea why you replied that. I wrote before that I already did exactly that. Please read again what I wrote before.

I did that and it did show in the table. But I wrote to you because it then didn't say English-GB on the string translation page. It only sayed "English" and "English" on the string translation page.

Here you can see what I mean: hidden link

Please read again what I wrote before and please try to answer my questions.

Here are my questions again:

What do I do after I imported the .po and .mo files (which are the right ones?) into WPML? The translations don't show!

Why doesn't it work?

My website is in English (US). How can I translate strings into English (GB) with the .po and .mo files I already have?

Why does it show the languages as "English" and "English" instead of "English-GB" and "English"? Like I wrote before I need the English translation because the text of the theme has a lot of mistakes.

Please help! Thanks a lot,
Mary

December 18, 2018 at 2:47 pm #3012669

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi Mary,
Thank you for your message and I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
It seems that I didn't explain myself correctly and I apologize for it.

Regarding the ending issues with the .po files and the language name in String Translation, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Looking forward to your answer.
Best regards,
Carlos

December 18, 2018 at 7:26 pm #3013667

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for the information provided.

Could you describe the steps to follow in order to export the .po files from Loco Translate plugin?

Note: I already added the GB suffix to the en_GB language. You can verify the change in WPML -> String Translation.

Looking forward to your answer.
Best regards,
Carlos

December 19, 2018 at 2:07 pm #3016738

m.K-2

Hi, thank you. I downloaded the .po files via FTP. Can I send it to you? I think, I gave you the wrong FTP password by accident, sorry!

December 19, 2018 at 2:40 pm #3016937

m.K-2

Hi, it works now. Not all of the former translations are showing, but I will just translate them again. Thanks for your help!

December 19, 2018 at 4:40 pm #3017633

m.K-2

Hello,
after I wrote my last message, I started to translate everything. It worked. Now all my translations are gone again. I have no idea why!

December 19, 2018 at 5:03 pm #3017693

m.K-2

My old translations are gone. My new translations are still showing on the WPML string translation page, but not in the front-end.

The only thing I changed was seleting "Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation and always load .mo files as backup" instead of "Translate themes and plugins using WPML's String Translation only (don't load .mo files)" like before."

December 19, 2018 at 6:11 pm #3017881

m.K-2

Also, I translated strings in Loco Translate before which I cannot find with WPML. For example the placeholder texts are not even shown in the WPML string translation.

December 19, 2018 at 8:08 pm #3018032

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
Thank you very much for your messages.

1.- I have set your next answer private, this way you can share a download link with the .po files.

2.- If you go to WPML -> Themes and plugins localization -> Scan the plugin and themes related to the .po files, does the issue persists?

Regards,
Carlos